Mr. Brian

Foreman 500 ES Trouble with 4WD

My 2010 Foreman 500ES today decided it woukd not go into 4WD. When I turn the keyon, theight comea on as it should but after that it stays off regardless of the switch position. The front axle does not engage either. 

I ran the codes and got the following...

The gear indicator flashed...

1, 8, 3

The 4WD light flashed...

1, 5, 4

That's all it shows. 

Everything else works great!

Need the 4WD to drag hogs out and get tk my hunting stand

Screenshot_20201021-215236.jpg

20201022_092238.jpg

i never worked on on of these before 

Do you have the service manual? I think we have the available for download or viewing here somewhere. The 2013 manual i have says to check some things—i posted pics of the cable you can check and tests you can do—is yours power steering too?

it could be a bad switch but the gearbox might need servicing. If you’re checking connectors, get some contact cleaner, plumbers flux brushes and permatex dielectric grease. Clean connections with cleaner and a brush, then apply a thin film of dielectric grease with the other brush.

So far as electro-mechanical—look at your front diff area. there should be a harness and connector And there should be a cable connected to an actuator. Check to see that the harness and connector aren’t broken and that the actuator doesn’t have a stick or grass stuck in it.

4CA647E7-1215-4942-A657-50E69450DE2C.jpeg

F62B74C5-81C8-4770-BD13-22688F940F18.jpeg

BBC766D2-846C-4A7B-9FF1-DC75B8473111.jpeg

Edited by Goober

First off, where are you located?  Reason I ask is there was no 2010 Foreman ES in the US.  They skipped from 2009 to 2011.

If you're out of the US, a 2010 will be the same as the 05-11 models, but I want to make sure before we go giving you advice on the wrong machine.

Is it an ES, with NO lever on the left gas tank for auto mode?

Welcome to the board.

I'm in Louisiana. I will double check my Info. It waa sold to me as a 2010 but that was a sales person talking.

It IS an ES with no levers except for brakes. 

THANKS!

Edited by Mr. Brian

Just now, Mr. Brian said:

I'm in Louisiana. I will double check my Info. It waa sold to me as a 2010 but that was a sales person talking.

It IS an ES with no levers except for brakes.

THANKS!

under front fender, dead middle, there is a cross plate, its flat, has 17 digits stamped across it, read left to right, count the 10th digit, then tell us what this letter/number is ?, then we can tell you what year it is :-).

Found all the paperwork and you're right. We got it in 2010 but it is a 2009 year model.

Where is the actuator that puts it in and out of 4WD? 

The 10th digit is a 9

Edited by Mr. Brian

That's good to know.

Let's revisit those codes.

Here are the error codes.

You'll need to go to the toolbar, top of the page, download the factory service manual for the 05-11 Foreman.

I've attached a couple of the pages to show you where to find the error codes, and once you look there, they'll give you troubleshooting directions.

4wd codes.jpg

reg codes.jpg

42 minutes ago, Mr. Brian said:

Found all the paperwork and you're right. We got it in 2010 but it is a 2009 year model.

Where is the actuator that puts it in and out of 4WD? 

The 10th digit is a 9

Hi: In the service Manual go to section 16  pages 25, 27, 29  (front final clutch)

• Like 2

Thankyou. Going to switch over to my computer to download the manual. My wife order hard copies yeaterday from Haynes and Clines.

I have to unload the ATV and unhook the trailer so Miss Kathy can have the truck before I can much else.

Mr Brian , looks like you got some help .... I started to comment on the 2010 500 not existing this morning , got side tracked and out the door to work 

I have the 450 models , same front different set up , it works with two speed sensors , one on the drive shaft going to the front diff to measure the engine out put speed , the other on the front diff to measure it's speed , if you are moving too fast , then it won't let you engage the front diff , so if ether speed sensor isn't working then it won't shift into 4wd , there is an actuator on the front diff input , it works by a magnet , when voltage is applied it engages the front diff , disconnecting the plug / connectors to each sensor and the actuator , clean any corrosion out and apply some dielectric grease to the terminals , that may straighten it out 

Thunderstorms arrived while I was out. SO I'll have to wait awhile before I can get back at it. In the mean time, I will download the manual and do some studying. I can't THANK you all enough for your help.

Storms are gone and my neighbor let me use his garage that isn't5 full of large woodshop tools. We cleaned all the plug connections for the frontend and put dielectrric grease as recommended. the 4WD still inoperative. Cleared the codes, ran it around the block a bit and still no change. Pulled the codes again. Got 1 flash for the "N" and 1 flash of the 4WD light. That was it. got dark, I got tired. here we are now. I REALLY hate to be such a pain. Thanks for all the help

I think I would jack and block all 4 wheels off the ground , as the 4wd will only engage with the wheels turning , stick a test light into the plug to the actuator and see if there is voltage there , if not then apply voltage thru the test light shank with a double ended alligator clip wire and see if the actuator will engage ---- if your speedo works then the sensor closest to the engine is working 

I know you want to fix it right , I got feed up with the electric 4wd on mine , the sensors for a 450 are like $80 each , the actuator like $400 , the default of the 4wd is 2wd , got stuck out in the woods a few times with 2wd only , I stuck a full time diff from a 1st gen 450 with a 4x2 kickout , so I go from 2wd to 4wd by a cable 

Hi: If you have a test meter -- disconnect the 4wd switch and check the switch for continuity -- 

In addition to checking the 4wd switch... there should be a 4wd fuse in the fuse box. You can use a test light or a multimeter to probe the tiny contacts on that fuse to verify that battery voltage is present on both sides of the fuse while the ignition switch is turned on. Pull that fuse out and check for overheated or corroded  fuse sockets as well. The fuse should fit snugly into each of the two spade sockets.

Hi: If the 4wd switch checks out okay -- then unplug the ECM and check it there (see Diagram) also check the resistance of the front final clutch coil -- should read 5.1 to 5.8 Ohms

Service Manual section 23 page 23-2

4wd .jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 4

Looks like I'm removing the front fenders and cowl today...🤪 AFTER I do a continuity of the 4WD switch

Edited by Mr. Brian
  • Like 1

we had talked a few in  chat last night ... you had mentioned a rodent issue .. in the past so while your in .. check for mice / rodent damage to the wire harness .. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. When I worked on aircraft in the USAF, we had raccoon troubles on one aircraft. A coon had somehow gotten into the nose gear undetected. No real damage besides some scratches and a dead coon but critters are an issue with anything that has room for a hiding spot.

Edited by Mr. Brian
  • Like 1

Got thought on mice damage , and it could be from the previous time , look in the same area -----   I did a job two weeks ago on an excavator , found all these blue butt connectors in the harness , which appears to be from a previous fix from mice damage by someone before me , I found the problem two more wires were disconnected , a big red wire to the rear of the plug I have disconnected and a small blue wire to the front , the red wire I could see had been chewed , but not recently , I think what happened was the outer coating had been chewed previously and the wire corroded green inside and broke off , cause as I pull the harness it came apart 

kqUA01gYTMOjO+q27YmaZw.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good thinking.  I'll  go back and check the repairs. I can't remember if I soldered the repair or not. I'll solder the repairs if not

start with checking that mice area, then check the speed sensors at the front differential. also check the yellow switch on the throttle side.

• Like 2

Previous repairs check good, 4WD switch tested good. Going spend the day with a multimeter after I get baxk from checking the hog traps and picking a couple barrels of corn

Does anyone know the proper voltage to the front final drive to engage?  I was thinking of testing it but sometimes these things only use smaller voltages. Don't want to burn up anything.

Edited by Mr. Brian
Spelling and Bad typing