Mr. Brian

Foreman 500 ES Trouble with 4WD

21 hours ago, Mr. Brian said:

Looks like I'm removing the front fenders and cowl today...🤪 AFTER I do a continuity of the 4WD switch

Here’s a way to get it lifted—I currently have a 450ES up on an old manual Harley bike lift. I had to remove the near side footwell to get the jack in.

spray all the exposed nuts, bolts And screw heads with a penetrating oil like Deep Creep or PJ Blaster. VVL-800 aint gonna gitrdun LOLs. You’ll probably have to remove the carrier and bumper.

those plastic splash guard clips are about .50c each; there must be a special tool to remove them without damaging them. metric cap screws.  the footwell supports have four bolts.

then i strap it down and crank it up

3782B620-0999-49A5-98AF-2DABC48515CC.jpeg

• Like 2

do you plan on lifting one side , and placing jack stands or some sort or support , then swopping to the other side ? I'd be carefull using a 100 lb lift table. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Brian said:

Does anyone know the proper voltage to the front final drive to engage?  I was thinking of testing it but sometimes these things only use smaller voltages. Don't want to burn up anything.

it should be in the service manual ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Brian said:

THANKYOU for the help. I have a 100 lb capacity lift table that I plan to use.

You mean 1000 pound lift table? These quads weigh about 700 pounds 

• Like 1

Yes I meant 1000 lb table. I raised it and since I have an abundance of wood around here, made a set of red oak safety blocks so I am not relying on the hydraulics to hold the weight. I figured Honduran Rosewood might be a bit ostentatious or showing off...LOL

Got it up in the air so I can sit in a lawn chair, stare and percolate...Got the plastics off the left side and have access to the front diff.

I ohmed the input connector and get 5.7 ohms. Put 12 volts to the actuator and it is working great

This leaves me with another question. Will it damage anything to TEMPORARILY wire the front axle actuator so I have 4WD Until I figure out what is next? I really need it to get into and out of the woods for deer and hogs. It's Grocery time after all and it's starting to look like the ECM even though everything else is working great. 

Edited by Mr. Brian

This is what fixing a buggy in a woodshop looks like.

FYI....this is one of the 1000 lift tables from Harbor Freight. It's over 5 years old and has saved my butt many times when the kids or someone else was unable to help me. I made safety blocks to hold the weight just in case.2

20201025_151829.jpg

• Like 3

Hi: Check this for 12 VDC --with the key off unplug the ECM -- check for 12 VDC on the Br/Bl wire on the ECM 33 pin connector with the key on and the 4wd switch on.

Black meter test lead on neg. of battery

Edited by Melatv

WILL DO. have to pull the rest of the front end apart I guess. OH WELL!!! Makes for some excitement around here. I would LOVE to learn it's just one of the 2 sensors.

Edited by Mr. Brian

While taking the front cowl and fenders I think I found the issue! I'm ALMOST willing  to bet someone elses paycheck that this will fix the issue.  

20201025_173926.jpg

20201025_173932.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. Brian said:

While taking the front cowl and fenders I think I found the issue! I'm ALMOST willing  to bet someone elses paycheck that this will fix the issue.  

That does look to be a problem! Cheaper fix than a ECM. 

Good find --can be repaired -- keep at it -- bypass the connector 

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Brian said:

boy, they really went work on that one. how do you store your feed ? you had mentioned feeding birds, and i take it you also bait for wild hogs ? 

Rocky Mountain ATV looks like they stilock these subharnesses for less than $10 each. Well that’s what the website shows anyway

BCA012A0-03B7-41F7-81C2-5C38EFF64009.png

I get that when I try and use my phone to type, THANKS. 

I repaired the wire to the 4WD switch and it works like a champ. probably need to clear the codes now. The "N" no longer flashes but the  4WD light flashes once the 5 times but it appears everything is working fine.

Edited by Mr. Brian
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brian said:

I get t5hat when I try and use my phone to type, THANKS.  I repaired the wire to the 4WD switch and it works like a champ. probably need to clear the codes now. The "N" no longer flashes but the  4WD light flashes once the 5 times but it appears everything is working fine.

No worries bud! Happens to all of us!

• Like 2

i figured it was mice ... 

55 minutes ago, Mr. Brian said:

I repaired the wire to the 4WD switch and it works like a champ. probably need to clear the codes now. The "N" no longer flashes but the  4WD light flashes once the 5 times but it appears everything is working fine.

glad that repair resolved the front end issue, now just ... just toss out some moth balls where you store the atv. from the pics ... they might have chewed more up then you saw, so i wouldn't be shocked if more issues occure, usually when rodents get settled in, it's hard to get rid of them, at least, that's what's happened with me, and long time storage, is a sure enough invite.