jeepwm69

Swapping in newer front end stuff

Most of us here are older machine guys, but I have a set of newer model knuckles in the shop.  They take a full sealed bearing, and the new style CV's are a little different as well.

I know Dog Oglesby was asking about swapping them on once upon a time, wanting that larger sealed bearing.  Don't know if he ever tried it or not.

What I'm thinking is, the stock 300 axles are 20 spline on the inboard joint.  New foreman /rancher axles are also 20 spline.  Looks like I'd be ok there.

300/350/420 axles are 465MM/ 18.31inches.  The new 420 LEFT axle is 468mm, so length is practically the same.

So, I'm thinking if I bore out the upper a-arm to accept the bigger 375 ball joint, and ream out the lower arm to also accept the lower 375 ball joint, I could swap on these new style 420 knuckles, hubs, and rotors, and I'd have factory disc brakes, using the new style knuckles with that big old sealed bearing in there. 

Thoughts?  (especially @toodeep, @Mac102004, as i know they both have new and old machines around)

• Like 1

I've already modified some upper arms with the intention of using 07-13 420 brakes, so I bid on a reamer to do the bottom arm.  We'll see how it goes. 

If the knuckles and arms bolt up ok I'll order 14-up CV's and hub/rotor assemblies.  The calipers are the same as the older 420's so already have those on hand.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

Seems logical to me. I can't think of any hiccups off hand.

I got my 7 degree reamer yesterday to enlarge the lower a-arm ball joint holes to accept the bigger ball joint. 

Probably be awhile before I get to it, since the days are short and it's cold in the yard now, but I'll post results when I try it.

Yeah they sure are short. Seems like I just finish work and it's dark out, guess it's only going to get worse lol.

• Like 1