SlammedRanger

Riding my stroker 440ex

Got an hour today to go out and get some braap theropy. Riding at the place i wrecked at earlier this year. Most of the woods was under water so this small loop was all i could really do. It rained all week. I got a few laps on go pro. Enjoy!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brian said:

I bet it hurts like ! when a deer or other critter jumps out of the bushes on you at that speed

I sure hope i never find out! Hopefully my screaming pipe scares them off lol. I do a slow loop around the woods first to kinda scope the fallen trees and stuff so i hope they all leave when i do that. This time of year the leaves create the most danger. Them piles are like being on ice. I have already learned how much trees dont move when you hit them haha.

• Like 1

Yeah we dont have hogs this far north. Deer and turkey would be the only concern here. I know all the hunters have to hate me riding back there. But the owner doesnt hunt it or allow anyone anymore. So if nothing else i push them out of his woods for them lol

• Like 1

hey .... some farmers are so fed up with the deer eating the crops up, you could payed a tad for riding some around here... lol, thats for those who don't allowed hunting on their property. deer... crossing the roads ways is about the only worry here, well, them, and dillas. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hey .... some farmers are so fed up with the deer eating the crops up, you could payed a tad for riding some around here... lol, thats for those who don't allowed hunting on their property. deer... crossing the roads ways is about the only worry here, well, them, and dillas. 

Man i wish that were the case around here. No one lets you ride anywhere around here. This is just a small maybe 5 acre area of a close friends who allows me to ride. Besides this and one local track we drive 5 hours round trip to ride. Sucks.

• Like 1

Just now, Wheeler said:

Love it! I Have to get myself a go pro!

I just have a basic go pro hero session. They are small cheap and work well for what i do with them. I mount it under my visor so i can see the record light flashing and i mount it upside down so i can easily access the record button. My hands down favorite thing about it. One button click auto record. You can hit the button again while recording it snaps a picture. And then you hold the button for 3 seconds to shut off. It beeps 3 times to tell you its off. So easy even i can do it! LoL

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Man i wish that were the case around here. No one lets you ride anywhere around here. This is just a small maybe 5 acre area of a close friends who allows me to ride. Besides this and one local track we drive 5 hours round trip to ride. Sucks.

well, the deal is .... you can' have t any other riders along ... or rip the land up too bad ... but it's beats having hunters trespassing ... which has always been bad here, oh believe me you'd hear about it... i road on my fathers land, and a was after me for a while because he thought i crossed his land , which isn't his any longer , I'm not sure what the details are over that mess, but for a while ... couple years back .. the local law, were looking for red atvs riding in a certain area... lol 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

Alright Slammed I got one for ya...

At 0:10-0:15 you can hear what (to my ear) sounds like valves that are too tight. When you are low in the rev range and putting the engine under load you can hear this sound. Almost like a whistle-type noise and sounds a bit like the whoosh/whistle of a car window that is just slightly cracked. You can hear it clearly again at the end 3:02-3:07

What is that noise? Are your valves too tight and if so why?

Am I hearing something else? What? Is this from low quality fuel?

I might be getting rid of my 00 400ex... that is my clean one but not my original

Really don't want to but reasons...

Seeing this makes me want to ride with you even more. Nice little spot! Missing a bump or two lol

Edit: I barely use the GoPro so I just tape it on and pull it off when I'm done lol

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

The turbo sound i call it. It is actually a noise made by the fcr carb. There is also a kinda jingle at idle too. That is the flat slide rattling aswell. Nothing of concern. Valves are checked every oil change and i always have lived and died by (if you can hear them with your helmet on they need attention). There is always a small tick on a 400ex if listened for hard enough. Also my skid plate makes a weird noise when i get on it real hard aswell. I think its more of sound deflection from the transmission. But i know there isnt anything wrong with those as they were sent out and polished when i did my build. I also spec'd out and changed any gear with even the slightest bit of wear on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Seeing this makes me want to ride with you even more. Nice little spot! Missing a bump or two lol

I agree 100% about all of this. Its real flat where i live. But if you want to see some bumps go onto my youtube channel. There is alot more track riding and even a few races on there. Plenty of air time in those lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

The turbo sound i call it. It is actually a noise made by the fcr carb. There is also a kinda jingle at idle too. That is the flat slide rattling aswell. Nothing of concern. Valves are checked every oil change and i always have lived and died by (if you can hear them with your helmet on they need attention). There is always a small tick on a 400ex if listened for hard enough. Also my skid plate makes a weird noise when i get on it real hard aswell. I think its more of sound defelection from the transmission. But i know there isnt anything wrong with those as they were sent out and polished when i did my build. I also spec'd out and changed any gear with even the slightest bit of wear on it.

Awesome. Great explanation

So that (slide carb) would explain why I hear it slightly on the 450 but have NEVER heard this noise on my 400ex.

Valves wouldn't be tight on a 400ex either though so I was connecting dots that weren't actually there. (That noise to tight valves)(Similar noise though)

Tappy valve happy valve on the 400 for sure. Never had issues with any of mine there.

Skid plate on the 450 almost gave me a cardiac as it sounded bad before shimming lol

Edit: Small bumps 😅

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Awesome. Great explanation

So that (slide carb) would explain why I hear it slightly on the 450 but have NEVER heard this noise on my 400ex.

Yep the 450 was designed to run with that specific carb so im sure they did something to make it not make the noise as much. 400ex round slide carbs dont make any noises at all. But ever since i did the fcr39mx carb it has sounded like i put a turbo on it lol. The rattle scared the crap out of me at first. I think i even have a post and video about it somewhere. But if you put your ear to the airbox it is obveous at that point what the cause is. I also found that upping the idle helps with the jingle sound for sure. The turbo noise doesnt really change no matter what. But it has grown on me and i kinda like it! LoL

• Like 2