ehenry

1999 Foreman 400

This bike sat unused for 5-6 years. I've brought it back to life with a carburetor kit, spark plug and all fluids and filters. I only have one issue...the clutch would not release. I rode it for about an hour got it good and hot and when turning around on pavement and down shifting the clutches broke free. All was good, it shifted like it should. I stopped back at the shop and let the bike sit for about 30 minutes and when I started to ride again the clutches were again locked up. They broke free after a short run but locked again after sitting a short time.

Is there some type of wet clutch conditioner additive I can run through it to help with this issue? OR, just ride the crap out of the bike and hope they will eventually stop locking up.

Welcome to the site. 

glad u got the ole girl running again.. when u say clutches lock up? What do u mean?? 

Welcome to the forums  .....   It would help to know your model and year  ----  Don't know of any oil additives ------  Before I took it apart and checked the condition of the frictions , I would ride it hard  , change the oil again and ride it some more , you might get lucky , but being it seems to stick again quick , I wouldn't have too much faith and think a clutch job is in your future , was the crankcase overfilled with gas from sitting up 

• Like 1

They will not disengage when lifting or pressing down on the shifter. If you hold the shifter down or up while applying a little throttle in any gear the bike will still go.  After I rode the bike for about an hour I was shifting while turning on pavement and the clutches released and shifting was normal.....ie: holding the shift lever up was like keeping the clutch depressed in your truck but let the bike sit for a little while, an hour or so, the clutches are locked up again.

I hope I'm explaining it where it makes sense.

Its a 1999 TRX400FW

THere was no gas in the oil. WHen I sat it up I drained fuel from tank and carburetor bowl.

The only reason the bike got parked was I got a side by side.

That Foreman carried my rust ! many a swamp mile and still runs strong. The odometer is showing 6700+ miles

Edited by ehenry

I see now the year and model was in your title -----  I miss the title a lot , LOL ---- Do you know how to adjust the clutch , might help 

• Like 1

Sounds like you are going to have to take it apart and do a clutch job , I have had a clutch stick a couple of times  after sitting up and once it broke loose it never did stick again , being yours sticks again and again so quickly makes me think the friction material is gummed up bad , maybe from using the wrong type of oil , or maybe not changing the oil enough in it's life 

I'll keep riding it to see if things get any better before I open it up for a clutch

I've reached a point in my life if I take something apart and it sits too long waiting for parts I tend to forget the little things.

I see you're from Lacombe LA. I hope Zeta doesnt beat yall up too bad.

I see another user here, ShadeTree is from North Little Rock, AR.....thats where I got my wife, of 39 years so far, from.

• Like 2

Yep , Zeta is heading right over my house if it stays on the present track , estimated 100mph winds  6-9 ft tide surge , it is what it is !!! 

Curious to see what @Shadetree will tell you about your problem 

I believe you mentioned your from central Mississippi , when I looked at the member marker it shows your in Singapore  , not  the first time that has happened 

What kind of engine oil had you been using ? When was the last time it was changed before sitting up ? Never heard of one sticking  and unsticking over and over , like what's happening to you 

• Like 1

I've always used Honda oil. I knew it had a wet clutch and needed Honda oil for use it that type bike. I had actually changed the oil just before it got parked. I got a side by side in 2012 thats when it got parked.

I got it out in 2018-2019 and got it running. My son took it home with him since it was his birthday present back in 1999. I think he was turning 10.

He brought it back because the needle and seat in the carburetor wasnt sealing off and leaked gas in his garage. I pulled the carburetor again and polished the needle seat with a qtip and dab of valve

lapping compound and its been good since.

NAWP ! !  Not in Singapore.

I'm in Canton, MS just north of Jackson on I55. 

Edited by ehenry

I have heard of Canton , been thru Jackson many times , have friends in Hattisburg and Brook Haven 

I think that when the carb float was sticking on your son and spilling gas on the floor , gas could  over flowed into the cylinder and have gotten into the crankcase  by by-passing the rings , the gas diluted the oil and had an effect on the friction material of the clutch 

Its possible gas may have gotten in the oil but it couldnt have been very much if any since the oil isnt over full. Its still got the same oil in it from when I got it out and did the carb kit.

I'll get some new oil and change it if you think that will have an affect on it.

Shadetree must be sleeping in this morning.

Edited by ehenry
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ehenry said:

Its possible gas may have gotten in the oil but it couldnt have been very much if any since the oil isnt over full. Its still got the same oil in it from when I got it out and did the carb kit.

I'll get some new oil and change it if you think that will have an affect on it.

Shadetree must be sleeping in this morning.

If he already changed the oil when he rebuilt the carb i doubt there's much residue left to further effect the clutch. I'd bet that changing the oil again will have little to no effect on the clutches.

See if you can get the front fenders off and unbolt the oil cooler and tip the quad up on it's back rack. I did this myself with a cherry picker but a couple friends could help you. Then id assume you'd be able to pull the front cover off if it's anything like my 500. Then you can inspect the clutches and not lose your oil or make a big mess. Worked well for me when i had my clutch plates loose.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong about being able to pull the front cover off a 400 with it on the back rack. Inspection of the clutches at this point is something i would definitely do.

sled

Edited by sled_22

That Foreman carried my rust ! many a swamp mile and still runs strong. The odometer is showing 6700+ miles

this was over looked (history) had the bike ever been sunk to the point of water, or slop getting in the engine ? 

I am sticking with my carb over flow theory : gas contaminated the oil , so now the frictions  are gummy 

Looks like Canton might get a taste of Zeta , they say it is moving fast so it will carry 100 mile per hour winds way up before diminishing  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ehenry said:

I've always used Honda oil. I knew it had a wet clutch and needed Honda oil for use it that type bike. I had actually changed the oil just before it got parked. I got a side by side in 2012 thats when it got parked.

I got it out in 2018-2019 and got it running. My son took it home with him since it was his birthday present back in 1999. I think he was turning 10.

He brought it back because the needle and seat in the carburetor wasnt sealing off and leaked gas in his garage. I pulled the carburetor again and polished the needle seat with a qtip and dab of valve

lapping compound and its been good since.

NAWP ! !  Not in Singapore.

I'm in Canton, MS just north of Jackson on I55. 

I used to have to check on a golf course there right behind the Nissan plant.  Canton/ Madison area.  Links at Madison.

I did inventory control for the management company that owned the place.

time to pull it apart, have a look at the friction disk, or i would replace them.

• Like 1

Jeepwm69, The Links are still there but its turning in to a not so nice place. There was a shooting out there saturday afternoon.

ShadeTree, I think what I'm going to do is just ride the bike this season and see how it goes. If it throws craps on me I still have my side by side to fall back on.

Is Randy Morely still  a City Judge in North Little Rock? He was my bro-n-law for a while till he and my wife;'s sister split up.

4 minutes ago, ehenry said:

Jeepwm69, The Links are still there but its turning in to a not so nice place. There was a shooting out there saturday afternoon.

Not surprising.  Apartment complexes always go downhill as they get older and start getting run down, especially when they aren't well managed.  I had that gig 2002-2009, and worked at one of the company's golf courses while I was in school from 00-02.

Jim Lindsey, who founded the company, is in declining health.  His sons aren't the man he was, so their properties won't be kept up like they used to be.

9 hours ago, ehenry said:

did your son mention anything about the clutches sticking, when he brought it back ? for the carb fix ?

He didnt say anything about the clutches. The clutches were not releasing before he took it.  I rode the bike around a few days when I put the kit in the carburetor  and to be quite honest it had been so long since I'd ridden it I assumed the hard shift and lurch from 1st to 2nd was from having sat too long.  It wasnt until a few days before I found this site, reading some posts of similar issues and adjusting the free play that I realized  the clutch was not releasing.

FIshFiles, you ok down there?? You had said Zeta was going to pass right over your place.

• Thanks 1

The eye went right over us.  Dead calm for over 30 minutes. Did you get any weather

• Like 2

All we got up here was some rain and a not much wind to speak of.

Its turning cool behind it though !!  Bout time