MargeShrimpson

Snow plowing trx450

I picked up a Foreman earlier this summer and it came with a plow. I'm planning on plowing lots of snow I've got a cement drive and a dirt drive. I also plan to plow on ice for an ice skating area. Do I need chains for any of that? Also, I live in southern Michigan and the snow we get usually isn't that high. 

My old man had a 350D with a plow. Had a larger dirt/gravel driveway & chains made it a a lot easier in the days when the snow glazed over to almost ice if ya know what I mean. If they aren’t expensive if prolly run a set. 

5 minutes ago, MargeShrimpson said:

That's kinda what I was thinking. The chains are kind of expensive. 

How much are they? Must be under $100 I would hope!

Holy Cow! $80-$200 a tire??!! WOW! I wasn’t expecting that! What size tires u have? 

I see Amazon has different sets. But like u say $140-$160 a pair. Oh and that’s Canadian! You would only need the rears.

I don't know anyone around here that chains up all four. I've never had damage to my machines and never heard of anyone else having problems. A set of two is around $80 at our local fleet store. Peerless is what they carry. You want V-bar for sure. Plain chain doesn't work. If you have deep lug tires you will want the ones that cross the tire tread in a diamond pattern to keep them from going between the lugs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MargeShrimpson said:

Just rear with 4 wheel drive? I read that not having all tires chained can damage the differential.

li agree with prov, don't see how running chains or any other type , would harm the differentail ... besides .. most times with all four wheels on the ground, the drive train is slighty wound up, but if anything would get loose, it most likely be the axle hubs.

• Like 2

I run the 4 link chains on all 4 tires for plowing, they were about 80 bucks for a set. They work great and I wouldn't go without now. Limiting your turning on the concrete will minimize the damage, but I don't leave marks on a paved driveway here when I do the neighbors, if you have newer tires with deep lugs they won't work as well, a 2 link or the diamond pattern works best. Tire chains are awesome in my opinion, just make sure they are tight, I use a bungee cord for each of my tires. They work great in the mud also,they will dig a hole with ease. As far as wear and tear on differential damage, if your not bagging it they will be fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MargeShrimpson said:

So you use the same tires year round? What kind of studs do you use? 

Yes I use the same tires year around -- see my tires in my signature (8 ply) I get two years or better with the same screws. -- great on ice covered road & trails -- I was using they were a pain in the ***  I remove the studs when winter is over.

1029202043-00.jpg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TBRider said:

I run the 4 link chains on all 4 tires for plowing, they were about 80 bucks for a set. They work great and I wouldn't go without now. Limiting your turning on the concrete will minimize the damage, but I don't leave marks on a paved driveway here when I do the neighbors, if you have newer tires with deep lugs they won't work as well, a 2 link or the diamond pattern works best. Tire chains are awesome in my opinion, just make sure they are tight, I use a bungee cord for each of my tires. They work great in the mud also,they will dig a hole with ease. As far as wear and tear on differential damage, if your not bagging it they will be fine.

I always aired down atv tires when installing chains and they are tight when aired back up.

I do a lot of higher speed driving with the plow on so I try to avoid using chains. I run the bearclaws until it gets bad and then my old trusty mudbugs get installed. I do almost all my plowing in the sxs now though so the added weight and diff lock make a huge difference (heater and radio is nice as well). I pushed many miles of snow on the 4 wheeler though in the past, just got older and ....... smarter????? lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

Yes I use the same tires year around -- see my tires in my signature (8 ply) I get two years or better with the same screws. -- great on ice covered road & trails -- I was using they were a pain in the ***  I remove the studs when winter is over.

1029202043-00.jpg

Melatv, have you ever had any pull out or do they just get worn?

11 hours ago, toodeep said:

I always aired down atv tires when installing chains and they are tight when aired back up.

I remembered I didn't mention this after posting, but I do the same, let air out put them on tight then air back up, snugs them up good so there's no chain slap.

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 2