Doxx

400 ex has long start (PLEASE HELP)

Im gonna sell this quad in a bit but when i tried turning it on it took along time to start maybe 2-3 mins of cranking and playing with the choke, the gas is fine and i bought this from a guy but have no idea what they did to it, it looks modified but not sure what mods are on there, it looks like a aftermarket exhaust. the pilot jet size is somewhere in the 30's and the main jet is 180 is this right for this quad with this exhaust? i have adjusted the valves and still no luck is there anything i can do to fix this quad quick before i sell it. im hoping i dont have to buy anything

42 pilot if its stock internals. 45 if its big bore with cam. Stock would be 38 and the 42 solves the cold blooded issue. Makes the choke not necessary to start it. Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Main being 180 is alittle high unless its pretty built. Usually a 180 is good for a 416cc bore and a cam with a full pipe. Post some pictures if you can. I can tell you what you got mod wise from the outside. Cant tell internal obveously.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Main being 180 is alittle high unless its pretty built. Usually a 180 is good for a 416cc bore and a cam with a full pipe. Post some pictures if you can. I can tell you what you got mod wise from the outside. Cant tell internal obveously.

i posted them here i hope there isn't a big problem here

Ok so topend has been rebuilt. It has a stock head pipe. Just a slip-on white brothers pipe. Airbox is removed entirely. Open filter. Carb is stock. I would get you a 42 pilot jet and pop it in. Put mixture screw at 2 turns from light seat and i bet she fires right up. If it has a 38 pilot(stock) with those mods it wouldnt start good if at all.

• Like 1

With airbox removed like that its possible the 180 could be pretty close. If it had the airbox i would be guessing somewhere around 170. But your getting plenty of air with the box deleted completely.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, SlammedRanger said:

With airbox removed like that its possible the 180 could be pretty close. If it had the airbox i would be guessing somewhere around 170. But your getting plenty of air with the box deleted completely.

ok so i have a 42 in there but it still doesnt start, it did one time but it was super loud, smokey and gave me a little eye irritation. recently there has been this problem that when you try to start it, it would spin the starter, then start to die down like if the battery is dying then it cranks like normal. it seems to me like it only wants to start up on a decompression stroke but i have no clue. if you need a video of it i can send one over, i do have the video of it starting. i have zero clue whats going on with this quad. i dont even know if there is a 180 in there but from what ive been told, it might be a little rich, so i was thinking if i turn the needle position to the lean side if it will start up any better. thank you for helping me out

Edited by Doxx

Doesnt sound stock. My bet is the sound you are hearing is because its high compression. Its running pretty choppy. Im gunna bet it has a cam aswell. So that would mean no more decompression as that would only be with a stock cam. Needle isnt gunna have almost any effect on starting and idling. Needle is all mid and high rpm range. Have you pulled the plug? That would tell us how its running. Rich or lean. Seemed like you had it idling for a while there with very few revs so it should give us a good picture of how its running at idle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Doesnt sound stock. My bet is the sound you are hearing is because its high compression. Its running pretty choppy. Im gunna bet it has a cam aswell. So that would mean no more decompression as that would only be with a stock cam. Needle isnt gunna have almost any effect on starting and idling. Needle is all mid and high rpm range. Have you pulled the plug? That would tell us how its running. Rich or lean. Seemed like you had it idling for a while there with very few revs so it should give us a good picture of how its running at idle.

what do you mean by pulling the plug? like the spark plug? the spark plug we changed like 3 times now because its black at the top every time. We also cant figure out how to screw the plug in there tightly, weve just been hand tightening it for the longest because any socket we have bought is the right size but its too thick to fit in the hole, is there any suggestion on that?

Edited by Doxx

Yep they make a special tool. Motion pro makes one. And they also have a cheaper version. You need a thin wall deepwell 18mm socket. Finger tight on the plug wont work. Losing all that compression could honestly be causing your starting issues.

Screenshot_20230821_160749_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Yep they make a special tool. Motion pro makes one. And they also have a cheaper version. You need a thin wall deepwell 18mm socket. Finger tight on the plug wont work. Losing all that compression could honestly be causing your starting issues.

Screenshot_20230821_160749_eBay.jpg

ok ill buy this and see if this works, but also this problem im having with the starter, do you happen to know anything about that?

Starter clutch. Or maybe the starter gears arent grabbing like they are supposed to. Left side of engine from the point of view of sitting on it. Small cover with 4 bolts. Behind that if those gears are in wrong or shims are in wrong it could do that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Starter clutch. Or maybe the starter gears arent grabbing like they are supposed to. Left side of engine from the point of view of sitting on it. Small cover with 4 bolts. Behind that if those gears are in wrong or shims are in wrong it could do that.

thanks so much man, i was having way to many issues with this quad and i needed these answers to start so i can fix it already. this quad i bought from a friend and had no idea what was in there. ill try and replace all of these parts when i can and give you an update, thanks so much

I would make sure they have that spacer on the idler gear in the proper spot. It almost sounds like the starter motor has to spin out enough to catch it. And its supposed to be catching it alot sooner.