Chad z

08 Honda 500 es ecm

Anyone have a new or used ecm part # 30410-HP0-B91. Its for 2008 honda foreman 500 ES with power steering 

Looks like the PS and non PS ECUs are the same. 

What exactly makes you think it's the ECU?  They don't often go bad on the old air cooled 500's?

Where are you located?  I have an ECU from a 2007 FE that lost it's fan controller, so I replaced it.  It would likely work but you'd have to put your fan on a toggle.  You could also use it for testing purposes to make sure that the ECU is your problem.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

My mechanic said thats what it is. And its actually my dads bike that is immaculate. So a toggle on the fan would not work for him. Im wanting to replace it with the right part with the part # that matches. Thanks though. I still may go your rout. Im in north la. 

Edited by Chad z

15 hours ago, Chad z said:

My mechanic said thats what it is. And its actually my dads bike that is immaculate. So a toggle on the fan would not work for him. Im wanting to replace it with the right part with the part # that matches. Thanks though. I still may go your rout. Im in north la. 

Will the bike not crank or ?

I've had a few times where the factory service manual pointed to a bad ECU, and it ended up being a poor connection.  For example, my 06 Foreman was throwing a TPS code.  I ohmed out the TPS according to the manual, and it was within spec.  The FSM said if that was the case, "bad ECU".  Replaced the ECU and still got the TPS code.  Swapped the old ECU back on and the code went away.  My guess is I had some minor corrosion/ dirt on the pins connecting the ECU, and unplugging and replugging in ECU's wiped the pins enough to make a good connection.  Still works fine 10 years later, with the original ECU.

So, depending on what your symptoms are, if you want to cover shipping both ways, I'll mail it to you and you can make sure that a different ECU solves your problem (before you spend $$$$ on a new one).  The machine I took it off of ran fine, and everything worked but the fan.

Does the ecu you have have the right part # on it. 30410-hp0-b91?

Edited by Chad z

What’s wrong with your machine? What are your symptoms that led to a bad ECU diagnosis?

Im not sure actually. The mechanic said he diagnosed it and looked at manual and even asked another mechanic. My only concern is getting that part #. Its my dads bike and i feel terrible it happened. If i get the part and it doesn’t work i can go from there but as of now part # 30410-HP0-B91 is what i need. My mechanic is one of my best friends so its not like he trying to screw me. He is actually paying for the part because he thinks he messed it up after fixing original problem it was there for 

17 hours ago, Chad z said:

Im not sure actually. The mechanic said he diagnosed it and looked at manual and even asked another mechanic. My only concern is getting that part #. Its my dads bike and i feel terrible it happened. If i get the part and it doesn’t work i can go from there but as of now part # 30410-HP0-B91 is what i need. My mechanic is one of my best friends so its not like he trying to screw me. He is actually paying for the part because he thinks he messed it up after fixing original problem it was there for 

Why was it at the mechanic in the first place?  I'm just trying to get a picture of what led up to the "ECU bad".

I've had a dozen of the 05-11 Foremans.  The only ECU problem I've ever seen on one was the bad fan controller on the ECU I mentioned.  I have shipped out an extra ECU to a couple of guys over the years to use when they got an "ECU bad" from following the manual troubleshooting, and it's always been something else wrong (usually a broken/bad wire, or a corroded plug). 

The ECU I have is from an 06 500ES.  Part number is slightly different.  I'm not sure what the difference is, but the 05-07 ECU that I have is still available new, while the 08-11 is discontinued.

What you have

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/30410-HP0-B91?ref=0f2d652eebffda0a1c1285d9686350203aa6d3be

What I have

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/30410-HP0-A11?ref=e9f72d124de8d4b0079d6f3ed7a5ac778f64d064

Offer stands if you want to use it for testing purposes.  Honda changes part numbers and sometimes it's the same part, just made by a different contractor.  Sometimes an actual change was made.

If you download the factory service manual (free in PDF format in the toolbar at the top of the page) it will have the pin-out for both ECU's.  If the pin-out is the same, they should interchange.

• Like 1

Do you think the one you have with different part # will work/ is the same? I font see where to look at the pin out on them 

It will likely be the same. I am away from my desktop until Monday morning, but if you look in the back of the factory service manual there are wiring diagrams that show the ECUs and which wire goes where. Assuming the wires all go to the same places they should be interchangeable. 

Where are you located, i may try that part out for testing purposes. I just wish i knew for sure if it would work

Edited by Chad z

18 hours ago, Chad z said:

Where are you located, i may try that part out for testing purposes. I just wish i knew for sure if it would work

I’m in eastern Arkansas. PM me your mailing address and I will drop it in the mail on Monday.

• Like 1

I actually found an 08 500 FPE ECU that I'd forgotten I had.  I converted that machine to footshift (including the harness and ECU) and sold it to a buddy's neighbor a couple years ago. 

Was digging looking for the 05-07 ECU and found both in the same general area, had to really rack my brain to figure out where the newer one came from LOL.

Sending both your way, along with a return shipping label.  When you get them, report back with what you find.  The only bad ECU I've ever seen on one of these air cooled 500's is the 05-07 I'm sending you, and it worked other than the fan control circuit.  Point being, while it MAY be a bad ECU, my guess is it will be something else.

But, you can verify that with the bits I'm sending you, which is why they're on the way.;

• Like 3

Just to update this thread, the ECU I had with the proper part number was put on Chad Z's machine, and it fired right up and everything worked as it should.

I sold it to him cheap compared to ebay, but was happy to get some "hush money" to give to Mrs Jeep so she wouldn't complain about my hoarding of the ATV things.

He returned my 05-07 ECU, that had the bad fan controller on it.  It went back on the parts pile.

• Like 2