TM450

clunk noise after shutting off engine

I'm sure this has been talked about before. I have a 1987 250 Big Red that starts up great, and runs excellent,  but when I shut it off it sounds like the starter gears are clunking. I just rebuilt the engine, had the case split, inspected all the bearings and gears,  everything when back together just fine. I removed the starter gear cover to make sure that the flywheel one way bearing was free and it seems to fine when I spin it with no binding, and the starter gears all line up under the cover with the starter. Is it possible for the Centrifugal clutch one way bearing can cause this issue? The kick start seems to be working fine  to crank it up to, this is got me stumped.

I've read about this happening  on other later model Hondas, but it was because the one way bearing was locking up.    

Hi TM450 , I would guess it is one of the two one way bearings , since you say the kick starter works , then I would think it is the other one >>> what happens when you use the engine braking feature , you know when you are cruising along in gear and let off the gas , does it coast with no resistance or does it slow down from engine resistance ( which it should ) 

• Like 2

I'm actually just getting the bike back together and figured it was a good idea to test the engine. Just got the foot pegs back on, so now I can throw the seat on it and see what it does going through the gears. So if it doesn't have engine braking,then it would be the one way bearing on the clutch side that's bad then, and causing the engine to kick back against the starter gears? 

Update... I finally got to ride it for the first time after starting out with a bare frame. I did find out that when the engine is shut off I can definitely hear the centrifugal housing spinning inside. So the clutch bearing even though the kick start works good, it's not keeping the engine from back lashing the starter and gears? It must be weak enough for it to slip only when there is  compression kick back.