centralscrutinizer

2002 TRX350FE Electrical problems - hep me!!

New hillbilly here and need some help. As stated in the title, I am having electrical issues:

1. if battery connected, the ATV discharges in 3 days

2. I charge the battery and start the ATV and it discharges, like 12.7 to 8 volts and lower quickly too

3. I have disconnected battery (couple times) and it charges fine and holds the charge. Oh yeah, new battery too.

4. I have a winch and snow plow too, main reason I have this guy.

5. It starts and runs fine though I have not had it out yet. All the lights, etc seem to work fine too

I am thinking replacing the ignition switch and see what happens. In my mind, the discharge at rest and then the discharge (and non charge) when running both have a common denominator. 

any advice would be very appreciated...........

THX, centralscrutinizer

Welcome aboard.  First thing I'd do is check the voltage regulator.  

With a multimeter set to volts, check and see what your battery voltage is with the machine running.  Should be 14-14.5.  If you don't have that, something isn't right with the regulator.

You can also unplug the regulator and see if your parasitic drain stops.

Above the passenger rear tire.   Get an OEM replacement ONLY!   Even if you get used OEM.  Don't put ebay/Amazon electrical crap on your Honda or it won't work right.

• Like 1

Sooooo, I did as you suggested. The regulator is an aftermarket. I unplugged it and the parasitic activity seemed to cease. I plugged it in again and the voltage was all over the place. I unplugged again and am throwing the 'icky' regulator away. 

I then plugged in an old regulator (OEM I am guessing) and it seems to be discharging ever so slightly. I started and ran for a couple minutes and the charge was around 12.9 volts. So I am going to search for another OEM regulator and see what happens.

I left the battery connected and will check again in the morning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, centralscrutinizer said:

Sooooo, I did as you suggested. The regulator is an aftermarket. I unplugged it and the parasitic activity seemed to cease. I plugged it in again and the voltage was all over the place. I unplugged again and am throwing the 'icky' regulator away. 

I then plugged in an old regulator (OEM I am guessing) and it seems to be discharging ever so slightly. I started and ran for a couple minutes and the charge was around 12.9 volts. So I am going to search for another OEM regulator and see what happens.

I left the battery connected and will check again in the morning.

check and see if powersportsnation has one.  They stand behind their used parts.

One for a 450 Foreman (at least up to 01) is the same part. 

Purchased a used OEM regulator and it is fine now. I pushed snow on Sunday, checked the voltage after turning off. It was 13.3 on Sunday and I left the battery connected. Checked it again today and the voltage is at 13.2. Problem solved!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for letting us know the solution.  Will likely help someone else out in the future with the same problem.