HeavyDuty61

05 Rancher Display

Hey guys I’m looking so see how my Rancher guys have repaired their displays. Mine seems like it’s gone out. I started having shifting problems with it and could not read the codes. Any help would be great!

Welcome to the forum!

I do repairs on these I will send my contact information to your message box if you are interested

in looking into a repair

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you can post a few pictures of what you have going on with your speedometer, I will send my contact information to your message box and I will do my best to help you get it sorted out

-AKATV

Hi,

new member here with related question.

I have a 2007 Honda Rancher (TRX420FA) with a bad display.  Lights on top of the display (reverse, neutral, oil) work, back light comes on with headlights, 4 whl works, auto and manual shift work but display is blank.  Appears Honda has discontinued manufacturing the display so looking for repair.  Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum

if you could post a picture so I can better evaluate what repairs you might need that would be a great help

I understand you’re saying that it’s blank, but I just want to take a look and see if I can spot anything else going on

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Thanks

pic attached.

This may or may not be related but there is a small drain on the battery that started around the time the display went blank.

Attempted to isolate but unable to locate.

Within a week of not using the ATV and having a fully charged  battery voltage drops below 12 volts and if it sits longer than 3 weeks, the battery will fall below 10 volts.

It’s a new battery. No drain if I pull the main (30amp) fuse. 
Unit has been well cared for, never flooded and always stored inside.  No evidence of mice or critter damage to wiring.

Hope this helps and thanks.

IMG_0155.jpeg

Thanks for the picture

I believe what you’re showing me is a rancher 400FA- not a rancher 420

Definitely looks like you have a power issue

I can tell you a few things to check with your multimeter if you have one

in relation to the battery drain, these particular models, as well as the rancher 350 and foreman 450 see a lot of problems with the voltage regulator’s- sometimes a diode will go bad and it will back drain

Put the 30 amp fuse back in and then try unplugging your voltage regulator and try monitoring battery voltage for a couple days

let us know how you make out
-AKATV 

Edited by AKATV

Thanks,

I have a meter and have disconnected the voltage regulator.  I'll let you know regarding voltage change.

Also, thanks for catching the typo on the model #!

Edited by Warn974

If you take the display cover off the top of your speedometer, you want check that you have 12volts with the key on at the black/brown wire and the red/black wire using the green wire as ground

Also, just for kicks, check your battery voltage with it off and then with the ATV running at about half throttle your voltage should be around 13 1/2 to 14 1/2 volts- not over 15

If it’s over 15 or no change from battery voltage, then it’s not working properly

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Without the regulator plugged in:

voltage was a little under 12v on brown/black and slightly over 12v on red/black.

With engine running at 1/2 throttle, voltage at the battery was 12.08.  With engine off, voltage at the battery was 12.53.

With the regulator plugged in:

voltage was a little under 12v on brown/black and slightly over 12v on red/black.  

With engine running at 1/2 throttle, voltage at the battery was 13.58.  With engine off, voltage at the battery was 12.54.  

Will follow up in a few days to see if voltage drops at battery with regulator unplugged.

Thanks for your help and direction.

Edited by Warn974

I did not mean to check battery voltages with regulator unplugged and atv running-that is bad to do

I just wanted to see if you had battery voltages on both wires at speedometer and make sure regulator was working properly-

Seems like it is, lets see if drain goes away with regulator unplugged

I will send contact information to your message box if you would like to look into a repair as well

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

FYI you will probably notice drain or no drain within a day, you could also unplug speedometer the same way to see if its causing the drain as well

-AKATV

AKATV. I have a 2005 rancher 350 ES 4x4 and the display shows 99999 miles, 9999 hours and does not show which gear it is in. However everything works and functions as it should. Is this an issue that a rebuild could fix?

Welcome to the forum Ljoye!

Sounds like you have corrupted data and need reprogramming

I will send my contact information to your message box

-AKATV