joseph3423@hotmail.com

Shift shaft 2011 420 FA 4x4 ES

Posted (edited)

I Had a shift issue stuck in 3rd gear, used the wrench to get to neutral then shift motor and cover. found bad gears and bearings. Problem is when removing the outer bearing on shift shaft the shaft moved out about 1/2 inch, I slid it back in and there is spring tension each way I turn it but won't shift into gear. Do I have to pull the front case to correct or is there a trick to get it in the right spot without pulling the front cover. 2011 420FA 4x4 ES

Edited by [email protected]

Welcome aboard.  

Is it an FA (auto/ ES with independent rear suspension) or a 420 FE (ES, or manual electric shift on handlebar)?

#19 is the shaft, I can turn the shaft each way and is spring loaded both ways but no shift, so maybe it's not connecting to the forks maybe? I ordered a Service manual yesterday to see how the forks connect with the shaft. No video for this model that I could find.

38 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

#19 is the shaft, I can turn the shaft each way and is spring loaded both ways but no shift, so maybe it's not connecting to the forks maybe? I ordered a Service manual yesterday to see how the forks connect with the shaft. No video for this model that I could find.

You can download the factory service manual free in the toolbar at the top of the forum.  It's under "Service Manuals" button. 

This is a 2016, shows some details on what's under the front cover starting at about the 2 min mark.   The 420's really haven't changed over the years.

Well the only one of these I've torn down was about 10 years ago, and I honestly don't remember. 

I am fairly certain the front cover comes off, then there are a couple of more bolts holding the spacer on, but I can't be certain of that.

Update, Pulled the front case, did not have to pull the front driveshaft or spacer case. When the shift shaft come forward a 1/2 inch the shift pawl slipped out of the bushing on the shaft arm, I used a 2 ft slim blade screw driver to line up the bushing and pushed the shaft back in and found the locking ring had slid back on the shaft when I was trying to get the bearing off the shaft, slid that back to the groove Shifts like it should , a couple hours and its back together. For reference when doing the gears and bearings inside the shift cover when doing a shift motor do not let that shift shaft move forward. I hope this helps someone in the future and a Big thank you to jeepwm69 for your help.

• Thanks 1

I wasn’t much help, but thank you for posting the fix!  Should help someone out in the future