indyboy15

Mystery electrical loss

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I desperately need some help. Today's project was to put a new starter on my 2013 Foreman 500 ES because it had started to whine and then eventually locked up. The solenoid was still working OK. While disconnecting the battery I noticed one of the control wires on the solenoid was damaged so I cut out the bad part and re-spliced it. I then hit the starter button and it worked like before I repaired the damaged part. I then changed out the starter and when I turned on the key I had nothing. No dash display, no lights, no fuel pump priming...nothing. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I have 12 volts coming into the fuse box. When I turn on the ignition key the 10 amp ignition fuse in the fuse box becomes energized. I looked at all the wires and connections in that area and don't see any obvious damage, I did unplug the solenoid plug to make it easier to repair but it is securely plugged back in..plus after that repair the dash, fuel pump and starter button all worked. I'm totally stumped. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

57 minutes ago, indyboy15 said:

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I desperately need some help. Today's project was to put a new starter on my 2013 Foreman 500 ES because it had started to whine and then eventually locked up. The solenoid was still working OK. While disconnecting the battery I noticed one of the control wires on the solenoid was damaged so I cut out the bad part and re-spliced it. I then hit the starter button and it worked like before I repaired the damaged part. I then changed out the starter and when I turned on the key I had nothing. No dash display, no lights, no fuel pump priming...nothing. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I have 12 volts coming into the fuse box. When I turn on the ignition key the 10 amp ignition fuse in the fuse box becomes energized. I looked at all the wires and connections in that area and don't see any obvious damage, I did unplug the solenoid plug to make it easier to repair but it is securely plugged back in..plus after that repair the dash, fuel pump and starter button all worked. I'm totally stumped. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

check the ground from battery to engine/frame, as well as the ground to starter area. sounds like you lost the ground somewhere?. or..you forgot to hook the ground cable from battery to starter bolt ?..lol.

Well...I only disconnected the hot wire from the battery for the starter swap. There is only 1 terminal on the starter and that is the hot wire from the solenoid. The starter is grounded by being bolted to the engine. No ground wires were touched and I lost all electrical power. I just don't get it. A lost main ground would definitely explain it but I didn't even remove the battery ground. 😒

Shadetree, I owe you an apology and I feel like a moron! I didn't notice the main chassis ground was attached to the inside starter mounting bolt when I removed it. It's back on now and everything works great. Hopefully my stupidity can save someone else from this situation! Have a Great Day!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indyboy15 said:

Shadetree, I owe you an apology and I feel like a moron! I didn't notice the main chassis ground was attached to the inside starter mounting bolt when I removed it. It's back on now and everything works great. Hopefully my stupidity can save someone else from this situation! Have a Great Day!!!

lol...all good !. i kinda figured you somehow missed the ground battery cable to the starter bolt ?..easy to do...been there...done that...yrs ago of course !..lol. glad ya got it fixed !.