SilentBob

96 TRx400fw rebuild

Split the case yesterday and made sure everything with the transmission was good. The only thing I can think of that might of been wrong is when I put the shift drum in the first time I didn't line it up with the case markings until I went to put the rest of the shift parts on the front of the case. But I'll get the rest of the engine put together tomorrow and see what happens.

After having to re-split a couple of cases, I now set the engine on my bench with the crank and transmission in place, tilted back at about a 45 degree angle (flywheel down).   That way you can spin the transmission shaft, and manually turn the shift drum with your other hand, and watch the shift forks move in the drum, making sure that the gears all spin smoothly in each location.   Then you can make sure it's in neutral when you put it back together as well. 

Got the bike going last night, wouldn't start at first and then I realized I didn't put the cap on the spark plug. Put that back on and it fired right up, very happy with the results everything is shifting smooth and it sounds great. Thanks to @jeepwm69 for your help during this process! Now off to the next project.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Glad you got it going again!  What's on deck?

Thanks. Building a chicken coop but I have to get over to the in laws to mill up the lumber. 

11 minutes ago, SilentBob said:

Thanks. Building a chicken coop but I have to get over to the in laws to mill up the lumber. 

I'm gonna need to see pics of that!   Dad bought a giant GH Tannewitz bandsaw with the idea that at some point I might want to harvest lumber on the farm and cut it

Not something I will likely ever do, but he always has an "excuse" to buy something he wants and doesn't really need, and his excuse for buying the Tannewitz was "we might need to mill our own lumber one day"

22 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm gonna need to see pics of that!   Dad bought a giant GH Tannewitz bandsaw with the idea that at some point I might want to harvest lumber on the farm and cut it

Not something I will likely ever do, but he always has an "excuse" to buy something he wants and doesn't really need, and his excuse for buying the Tannewitz was "we might need to mill our own lumber one day"

I never thought of getting one but I'm glad my father in law did. When I had my house built I saved all of the logs worth milling and made a really nice work bench out of it. It's all red oak made from 2 inch thick boards, if I hadn't put casters on the legs it never would of made it out of the barn. 

He works for the southern company and still has some contact with Georgia power so his buddy brought him 30 power poles. So I'm going to mill some of that up for the frame of the coop and plane some old deck boards for the walls of the enclosure. It won't be huge maybe enough space for 10-15 chickens. But chicken math is a thing lol so might have to go bigger latter on.

• Like 1