Donk

02 350ES rancher 4x4

Hello I have a 02 rancher that dies after couple minutes, have changed carb, oil/ filter, plug , rectifier,air filter, gas.  Runs great then starts to miss before dieing, thinking CDI? Has anyone else had this happen?

Welcome aboard.   I'd verify you're losing spark if you can replicate the problem.   Did you use OEM parts when you replaced the rectifier?  If not, get rid of the chinese Amazon/ ebay junk and get an OEM rectifier, even if you buy used.

Sometimes tapping on a failing CDI will make it spark a time or two, so try that.   You can also bake a CDI for 7 mins in a preheated oven at 450 degrees, and sometimes that will revive one.  I wouldn't bake until you determine that is the issue.

Yes it is a OEM, runs great again after cooling off but just for a couple minutes again 

Next time it won't stay running, try tapping on the CDI and see if it will fire again at all.

Ok, one more thing to look at.

Get a can of starter fluid.  Next time it dies, pop lid off of airbox and shoot a shot of starter fluid in there, see if it fires off.

You could have a partially blocked petcock which eventually starves the carb for fuel.  You could also have a blocked vent line on the gas cap, which creates a vacuum and doesn't allow steady fuel flow to the carb.  I've had both problems over the years, and the symptom ends up starving the engine for fuel, but after a few mins, gas trickles into carb and everything works again.

So let's verify that you are, in fact, losing spark first.  

Where are you located?  

• Like 1

Hey Jeepwn69 thanks for the help, it was the pitcock not enough flow. Runs fine now. Thanks again 

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting back with the fix!  Should help someone else out in the future.

If you really want to jazz up that 350, Retro did a thread on swapping on disc brakes from an 07-13 Rancher, and I did a thread on adding a selectable 4wd front diff.   Both swaps use OEM parts from other Hondas, and make riding a 350 a LOT more pleasant.