honda

350FM Neutral light always on

Just picked up a 2001 Rancher 350. It runs real nice, except that the neutral light never goes off, the reverse light never comes on, and you can start it in any gear. Was checking the forums but I couldnt find any other guys with problems exactly like this. Is it just the gear position switch? Or wiring to the switch? Like I said it goes through the gears just fine, it's a footshift after all. I did see there's a bit of non-factory wiring done at one spot. Would someone have fixed it so its always telling the machine it's in neutral? So they could start it in gear maybe?..? Unsure why anyone would do this, but ya. I know it was used for checking fence lines most of its life, and maybe buddy got tired of always starting, putting in gear, driving 20 feet, putting in neutral??? I'm just rambling here.. It just seems a little unsafe for Honda to send it from the factory so it could operate with a bad gear position switch, but hey what do I know. But yes please share your wisdom folks

-CW

The early 350 Ranchers had a shift drum in the transmission that was prone to the rear part breaking off.  That rear part of the shift drum is what turns the gear position switch, so it's common for someone to bypass the gear position switch by grounding the neutral wire, which tricks the machine into thinking it's in neutral all of the time, which allows it to start. 

If you look at this thread, you can see how I rigged up my kid's 350 Rancher to start in gear, but I did so where it would only work if the brake lever was pulled, to prevent accidents.

Can you post a pic of the "non factory wiring"?

Ya it really would be nice to fix this, as now you have no clue whether you're in neutral or not. Sounds like, whether or not I do your start in gear mod, I have to fix the shift drum? If that is the problem, I guess?

How big of a job would this be? Just trying to decide if it's worth it or not.

20240906_122053.jpg

20240906_122401.jpg

20240906_121914.jpg

On closer inspection, it looks like everything's original except that black wire going to the battery terminal

So guessing that black wire from the battery - goes to a green/red wire, which is your neutral wire.  If you remove that black wire, your neutral light will probably go out and you'll have no spark.

To fix it properly requires completely tearing the engine down to replace the shift drum.   I know you want it "right" but it's a lot of work if everything else is working properly.

The later 350's used a shift drum that was much more substantial on the back end, so you can fix the problem, and it should stay fixed, but you'll have to source a shift drum from an 03-06 Rancher, completely disassemble the engine, drive out the bearing that the early shift drum had at the rear, and install the newer style shift drum.

I'd do the "start in gear" mod and run it were it mine.

Credit to Jake "A-aron" Duncan of FB for the pic showing the difference in the 00-02 and 03-06 shift drums.  The smaller end (right one in picture) tended to break off, so Honda beefed it up, and eliminated the bearing in the rear crankcase that the 00-02 drum rides in.  You just drive out the bearing, and then the beefier 03-06 shift drum goes right in.

350 shift drum.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok ya that looks like more work than its worth, to replace the shift drum. Thanks for the info but I think I'll just leave it the way it is for now anyway.

• Like 1

It it works it works.  If you have to do other engine work, do it while you're in there, but I wouldn't tear down a running machine just to do that.