Idaho Digger

Power Steering Problems? 08 TRX500FPE

Howdy All!

I purchased a new Foreman FPE back in 08, and wound up selling it to my daughter back in '15 and my Rancher to my son at the same time. My daughters hubby bought a twin to her Foreman, and they're looking to me for help on his.

Power Steering Light (PS) keeps coming on and EPS quits after a dozen re-sets.

I've tried 2 different new batteries, one at 12.6v and one at 12.8v during all the resets. Charging system when running is throwing 14.4v at 1/2 throttle.

I erased the DTC memory before starting each reset, leaving my jumper in until the reset was done. Performed all the steps (sec 24-10 in the service manual) by inserting a 6mm screwdriver, turn left, etc. and the indicator gave me the 2 correct blinks. I've done all this each time I reset everything from the beginning, but The EPS shuts off after 2-3 minutes of running or after a restart.

Oh great Guru's, where do I go from here? stealership is 4hrs round trip and $110/hr to diagnostics. Remove the front plastics and start checking connectors? that's gonna add up quick and there's gotta be something I can do...

Any and all opinions welcome!

Scott

Welcome aboard. 

I haven't had much luck messing with the power steering on these machines, which I why I stick to non PS models.  LOL.

The dealership is just going to follow the same troubleshooting directions that you are, so I wouldn't go that route except as a last resort.

I'd start by pulling your front fender, unplugging all the connectors, cleaning them out, and then using dialectic grease on the plugs when you put them back together.

In my experience, most of the time when you have electrical gremlins it's a loose/corroded/bad connection somewhere rather than a failed component. 

The fact that you have a "twin" that you could use to swap components on is a huge plus, if it gets to that point.  Is the twin the same exact model? 

Thanks for the reply!

I told them to take the front tires up to 30psi and run it but they didn't like that idea......

I thought it might be a connector issue, but really didn't want to pull the front plastics. I can do that, I suppose it's better than throwing a bunch of parts (sensors, etc) at it and getting miffed.

Just so I know, the bumper, bash plate, etc. all have to come off to pull the plastics, correct?

Thanks!

2016 07 24_0236.JPG

4 hours ago, Idaho Digger said:

Thanks for the reply!

I told them to take the front tires up to 30psi and run it but they didn't like that idea......

I thought it might be a connector issue, but really didn't want to pull the front plastics. I can do that, I suppose it's better than throwing a bunch of parts (sensors, etc) at it and getting miffed.

Just so I know, the bumper, bash plate, etc. all have to come off to pull the plastics, correct?

Thanks!

2016 07 24_0236.JPG

Nope.  Just undo the front rack, pull it off.

Unplug headlights (plug is next to oil cooler on driver’s/ left side), take tank covers off, and unbolt headlights from bumper brackets and take front flares loose from front fender and then you can pull the front fender off.