plott hound

1997 honda 400 foreman s hard to shift

hae been looking to buy another 400 foreman,! things are bullet proof.found one in decent condition and low miles but when i took it for a test drive it was hard to shift.shifts great from neutral to reverse but from neutral on up its stiff on every shift.i imagine that its never had a clutch adjustment and an oil change would not hurt it but was wondering what else could be wrong with it?

i ve had my current foreman since new in 1998 and it shifts great,just like new.however how much abuse has a used one endured.

thanks

On 9/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, plott hound said:

hae been looking to buy another 400 foreman,! things are bullet proof.found one in decent condition and low miles but when i took it for a test drive it was hard to shift.shifts great from neutral to reverse but from neutral on up its stiff on every shift.i imagine that its never had a clutch adjustment and an oil change would not hurt it but was wondering what else could be wrong with it?

i ve had my current foreman since new in 1998 and it shifts great,just like new.however how much abuse has a used one endured.

thanks

If it shifts ok, just with difficulty, it's 99.9% chance a clutch adjustment will fix it.