josh sammons

Gear shift spindle

Hey I have a 2006 Honda Foreman 500fm an I replaced the gear shift spindle an after I put rear crankcase back on it would shift up but not back down I had it in 5th gear when I toke it back apart to see y it wouldn't shift back down and come find out I didn't have that lil peace lined up right it was under the slot it sat in that y it shifted up to 5th an not back down so I lined it back u0 an remember I'm still in 5th gear an I got it right an put it back together it shifted back down to neutral but now it doesn't show N or any of the gears on the dash an if I wiggle the foot shifter while its in like 1st gear it will pop up 4th gear on the dash just for a second does anyone know how I can get it lined back up so it will show on the dash again

Hey I have a 2006 Honda Foreman 500fm an I replaced the gear shift spindle an after I put rear crankcase back on it would shift up but not back down I had it in 5th gear when I toke it back apart to see y it wouldn't shift back down and come find out I didn't have that lil peace lined up right it was under the slot it sat in that y it shifted up to 5th an not back down so I lined it back u0 an remember I'm still in 5th gear an I got it right an put it back together it shifted back down to neutral but now it doesn't show N or any of the gears on the dash an if I wiggle the foot shifter while its in like 1st gear it will pop up 4th gear on the dash just for a second does anyone know how I can get it lined back up so it will show on the dash again

Responded to your pm, but will post it here in case someone else has the same problem 

You got your gear position switch 180 degrees out.  

Have to pull rear cover, spin that T on the switch around 180 degrees and reinstall rear cover.

With the machine in neutral, if you look at that T one side is slightly longer than the other, that longer side should be pointed at the “N” on the switch.

Then that T slides up in the slot on the back of the shift drum, so as the shift drum turns as you shift, it turns that switch to reflect the proper gear.

• Like 1

agreed with jeep ^^..your gear position switch is 180 out. the switch has a tang on it ( little rod ) the longer end of it MUST FACE the small letter N stamped on top of the switch housing.