honda

Foreman 450 won't drive

So I've got a 2000 Trx450fe that isn't driving. The guy who sold it said it was probably a clutch issue. Now I've been doing some troubleshooting and am stumped. I jacked up the whole quad and tried spinning the tires. The front tires spun together, and the drive shaft which comes out of the engine was also spinning with them. The rear tires spun together but not with the front ones. After that, I ran the engine and put it in gear. Here's where it gets messy. When in gear, the front drive shaft turns, but none of the wheels turn. Even with them jacked up. So I went up through the gears and the shaft kept spinning. Then in 5th, I gave it some throttle, and it started making an awful racket, so I stopped right away. So does this sound like a clutch issue? I guess one question I have is, where in the drivetrain is the clutch? Between the engine and transmission or between the transmission and drive shafts? I really don't know much about that part of quads. I do know it's odd to have the front shaft turn but not the wheels. Possible diff problem? So why did the shaft turn when the front wheels were spun by hand? As I said, I'm stumped. That 's a lot of info but thought it might be helpful. Any ideas are very welcome.

Hi , welcome to the forum --- I took a read of your problem , but have to go run and errand --- but here is a quick wild  guess at your problem and maybe some things for thought --- the 2000 450 is full time 4wheel drive --- there is a splined drive shaft going to the front diff , I personally have stripped out that front shaft and  the  rear shaft ,  which is made the same way , a few times , so it is common --- what might have happened is the front shaft stroipped first ,  the previous owner continued to ride with only the  rear turned , then  the rear stripped --- 

Your exactly right. I went over it again and found that while spinning the front wheels by hand, the ring gear in the rear differential turned as well. So that pointed to a stripped rear axle. So I pulled the diff and axle off. The axle splines were worn down to 31.70mm where the ring gear sits but the rest of the splines were 32.47mm. So now I need a new shaft I suppose? And should I buy new ring gear too or are the splines there fine?

18 hours ago, honda said:

Your exactly right. I went over it again and found that while spinning the front wheels by hand, the ring gear in the rear differential turned as well. So that pointed to a stripped rear axle. So I pulled the diff and axle off. The axle splines were worn down to 31.70mm where the ring gear sits but the rest of the splines were 32.47mm. So now I need a new shaft I suppose? And should I buy new ring gear too or are the splines there fine?

Look at the ring gear splines.  If they are squared off they are probably fine.  If they are shark toothed replace the ring gear.

Most likely you will have to replace both.  It's rare for one to strip and not the other.

• Like 1

20230710_200614 (1).jpg20230710_200448.jpg

Those are the pieces. I suppose the gear will need replacing as well?

(my caliper was set wrong so those measurements were inaccurate but the worn-out section is still 0.77mm smaller)

Which spline would be worn on the front shaft? Possibly the one on the rear end of the differential?

Collar #13 and the spline of the shaft in #6 stripe out ----  

image.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, honda said:

20230710_200614 (1).jpg20230710_200448.jpg

Those are the pieces. I suppose the gear will need replacing as well?

(my caliper was set wrong so those measurements were inaccurate but the worn-out section is still 0.77mm smaller)

Which spline would be worn on the front shaft? Possibly the one on the rear end of the differential?

Yeah that ring gear is shot too.   When new the splines looks like \_/.  When they are worn out they are a V shape.

Thanks for all the info. what's the best place to buy replacement parts from?

Well you're in Canada, so you're gonna get raped.

Ebay more than likely up there.  Down here I've use Powersportsnation a lot, although their prices are no longer cheap at all.