Zip1

Trx500fm replaced clutches now shifter won’t move

Hello, I have a 2011 TRX500FM I recently changed both clutches on. When I have the clutch cover off it moves freely through the gears as it should. As soon as I replace and tighten down the clutch cover. The foot shifter won’t budge. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated 

Sounds like you’re pinching something with the cover. Did you put a new gasket on the front engine cover or did you try using liquid gasket?

Hey Jeep, do you think anything with the shift linkage in the clutch area might not be properly aligned? Thanks again 

Can you take a pic?  Did you mess with the shift linkage? 

If you look at my 05-11 Foreman engine build thread there are quite a few pics in it.

The shift rod did slide forward enough that it wouldn’t click through the gears with the foot shifter. Once I pushed it back it did work as it should. 
Here’s a bit more information. Due to a previous owner thinking it would be a good idea to tow with the rear rack. The rack and mounts for it on the frame. Was pulled off.

Due to this I couldn’t stand it up on end for the repair. Also I didn’t pull the motor for the repair. I did it all from the floor. (Not to easy to do this way). That is how the shift rod was able to move forward out position. 
I also placed the cover on then finger tightened the bolts until there was no play between cover and engine. Shifted fine no binding once I tightened the bolts foot shifter wouldn’t budge.

it’s literally just a 1/16 of an inch causing the issue. 
have you ever heard of a aftermarket gasket not being the proper thickness? I also couldn’t find the torque listed in the shop manual for the cover bolts. I tightened them to 108 inlbs which is 9ftlbs is this an issue ? Thanks for your input 

3 hours ago, Zip1 said:

The shift rod did slide forward enough that it wouldn’t click through the gears with the foot shifter. Once I pushed it back it did work as it should. 
Here’s a bit more information. Due to a previous owner thinking it would be a good idea to tow with the rear rack. The rack and mounts for it on the frame. Was pulled off.

Due to this I couldn’t stand it up on end for the repair. Also I didn’t pull the motor for the repair. I did it all from the floor. (Not to easy to do this way). That is how the shift rod was able to move forward out position. 
I also placed the cover on then finger tightened the bolts until there was no play between cover and engine. Shifted fine no binding once I tightened the bolts foot shifter wouldn’t budge.

it’s literally just a 1/16 of an inch causing the issue. 
have you ever heard of a aftermarket gasket not being the proper thickness? I also couldn’t find the torque listed in the shop manual for the cover bolts. I tightened them to 108 inlbs which is 9ftlbs is this an issue ? Thanks for your input 

I haven’t ever run into issues with aftermarket gaskets and sounds like you found the problem, but if you continue to have issues I’d look at getting an OEM gasket to rule it out. 

I snug cover bolts with a 1/4” ratchet.  You don’t want to over tighten or you’ll strip them out.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, Zip1 said:

Hello, I have a 2011 TRX500FM I recently changed both clutches on. When I have the clutch cover off it moves freely through the gears as it should. As soon as I replace and tighten down the clutch cover. The foot shifter won’t budge. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated 

chances are, you got the friction clutch ( change clutch disk ) pinched ?, or..you did not get the parts on the change clutch lined back up right as well as the shift linkage when you installed the front cover. no, after market gaskets wont cause this. with the engine sitting like you had it ?, its very hard to get it all back together the correct way, as well as getting the parts to go back together right. here's a tip: once you get ready to install the front cover ?, BEFORE YOU DO THIS !!!!, loosen the clutch adjusting bolt ( 14 mm lock nut ), back the center bolt all the way out ( counter clockwise ) until it pulls the metal plate snug to the inside of the cover, then snug the lock nut back down for now. NEXT: install the first parts of the shifting triangle into the change clutch, next install the spring, next install the outer metal plate, next, dab some grease on the very outer metal shifting plate that has the notch in it, ( it hangs down ), slide the shifting arm one the shifting shaft, this arm will only slide on the shifting shaft one way down on the splines !!. as you are doing this, make sure the lower tang on this sits between the return springs under it ?!. now slide the round upper part into the groove plate that is hanging down. make sure you do not forget to install all thrust washers where they go !.. install gasket, carefully !!!!..install the front cover, you may have to tap here an there to get it to go back on ?, BE CAREFULL NOT TO WHACK IT TO HARD !!!..or you will make those change clutch parts fall out !!. when it comes time to install the cover bolts, install all bolts all the way around, DO NOT FORCE THE BOLTS TO PULL THE COVER UP !!!. start tightening the bolts in a criss-cross pattern, as you go, the cover will pull itself up very easily , if it does not ?..then you got something that is keeping it from pulling together ??!!. after you get the cover back on, loosen that 14mm lock nut just enough to be able to turn the center adjusting screw, hold the lock nut in place, turn the adjusting screw clock-wise about 1/4 turn ( it won't matter if you go less or more for right now ). once you get this all done, lift up on the foot shifter ( like you are shifting into 1st ), you should be able to get it into first. then rock the atv, you will hear it '' click '' sorta ?, shift up again..rock..shift...rock..shift. if you can go through all 5 gears ?, then you did it right !. if you can not get it to shift to 1st ?, then you still have something wrong.

• Like 1