BlueJay

Won’t Shift From 1st to Neutral after Hard Stopping

I have had an infrequent problem of not being able to shift back into neutral after a hard stop such as “bumping it home” in the trailer (not slamming) or braking hard to a stop. It doesn’t do it all the time and most times I can rock it or shift back up and the down and get it back into N. It shifts up & down fine while moving. Back during the summer I followed the ESM maintenance tutorial posted here and the only thing I did not do was take the shift motor apart and service the brushes. With a month left in deer season I don’t want to take it apart if I can help it but I was wondering what might be the culprit. Shift motor? Sensor? Love this forum BTW!

1 hour ago, BlueJay said:

I have had an infrequent problem of not being able to shift back into neutral after a hard stop such as “bumping it home” in the trailer (not slamming) or braking hard to a stop. It doesn’t do it all the time and most times I can rock it or shift back up and the down and get it back into N. It shifts up & down fine while moving. Back during the summer I followed the ESM maintenance tutorial posted here and the only thing I did not do was take the shift motor apart and service the brushes. With a month left in deer season I don’t want to take it apart if I can help it but I was wondering what might be the culprit. Shift motor? Sensor? Love this forum BTW!

i would start with a clutch adjustment.

What model?  I did have an issue like that on the 16 Rubicon i had. Pretty sure it was the shift motor lagging when shifting due to lack of grease on mine.

I had already adjusted the clutch but since it is kinda like adjusting valves I will try to do it again. It is 2000 TRX350TE.

Getting closer. I adjusted the clutch for the third time and the slot on the screw is pretty galled up (thanks to the PO). I noticed today that when stopped in 1st gear it is trying to continue to move slightly. I followed the directions in the FSM but is there a little more in one direction or the other to alleviate the load on the clutch?  The FSM says to move the screw 1/4 clockwise after resistance is felt CCW. Since the screw head is galled up it might be moving too far back when tightening the nut. Is there a particular direction that would “calibrate” it better?

Also, how hard is it to replace the screw on the clutch adjuster? I should have looked at it closer when I had the cover off doing the ESP maintenance a while back. After deer season ends I plan on pulling the front case and redoing the ESP again. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, BlueJay said:

Getting closer. I adjusted the clutch for the third time and the slot on the screw is pretty galled up (thanks to the PO). I noticed today that when stopped in 1st gear it is trying to continue to move slightly. I followed the directions in the FSM but is there a little more in one direction or the other to alleviate the load on the clutch?  The FSM says to move the screw 1/4 clockwise after resistance is felt CCW. Since the screw head is galled up it might be moving too far back when tightening the nut. Is there a particular direction that would “calibrate” it better?

Also, how hard is it to replace the screw on the clutch adjuster? I should have looked at it closer when I had the cover off doing the ESP maintenance a while back. After deer season ends I plan on pulling the front case and redoing the ESP again. Thanks. 

you will have to pull front cover in order to replace this screw/bolt. you can adjust on it all day long, but if the clutches are worn out ?, it won't make any difference how you adjust it. normally when i adjust my clutch, i turn the screw , while holding lock nut all the way counter clockwise, then turn the center screw about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn clockwise, then i lock down the lock nut. if the clutch is worn ?, it will take a few tries to get it adjusted good.

When I pulled the cover back in the Summer when I got the bike, the clutch looked good. It only had ~2400 hours on it. I think the PO boogered up the screw trying to adjust it incorrectly.