Tj701

Forman 500es shifting to reverse issue

Hi I have a 2005 foreman 500es that shifts up and down gears electronically fine but will not shift to reverse electronically. It wil shift manually into reverse just fine.

The previous owner replaced the angle sensor I have replaced the shift controller I’ve checked fuses looked for broken wires the shift motor still works as previously stated for the forward gears.

if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated before I either build a permanent manual shifter or buy a bypass kit or a new ecm🤷😂 thanks.

7 hours ago, Tj701 said:

Hi I have a 2005 foreman 500es that shifts up and down gears electronically fine but will not shift to reverse electronically. It wil shift manually into reverse just fine.

The previous owner replaced the angle sensor I have replaced the shift controller I’ve checked fuses looked for broken wires the shift motor still works as previously stated for the forward gears.

if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated before I either build a permanent manual shifter or buy a bypass kit or a new ecm🤷😂 thanks.

see if the reverse cable is working correctly ?. if its not pullling the lever back far enough ?, then its posb the shift motor is not clearing the reverse lever.

• Like 1

There should be a single wire going to a sensor on the bottom of the engine.   The sensor is part number 13 in this schematic.  Find the wire that pulled off of the sensor and plug it back onto the sensor.  If it is plugged onto the sensor now, the sensor might have gone bad.  You can bypass the sensor by simply grounding the wire that plugged onto it.   You still won't be able to go into reverse without doing the "push red button while pulling brake handle back" trick, because that's a mechanical lockout, so no harm in just bypassing that sensor.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2005/trx500fe-a-fourtrax-foreman-4x4-es/rear-crankcase-cover

Welcome aboard.

• Like 2