Coyote251

Foreman Throttle Position Sensor

I am in the process of rebuilding the carburetor on my bike. I've only had the bike since Sunday and I am sure that someone has had it apart before and from what I am seeing probably had no clue what they were doing. While dismantling the carb so I could put it in the ultrasonic cleaner I noticed that the TPS is mounted 180° to the way that it is shown in the picture of the manual. The picture in the manual shows the connector of the TPS pointing upwards towards the vacuum side of the carburetor, mine was installed pointing down towards the bowl. I can't decide if this would make any difference as long as the resistance was changing as the throttle moved. If there is anyone with an 05 TRX500FE can you have a look at your carb and see which way the TPS is mounted on your bike?

Should look like this.   What are the numbers on the carb?   Might be from a different machine.  The Rubicon TPS points towards the front diff.

There are resistance measurements you can ohm out using a multimeter, and those are in the FSM.

500 carb.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Should look like this.   What are the numbers on the carb?   Might be from a different machine.  The Rubicon TPS points towards the front diff.

There are resistance measurements you can ohm out using a multimeter, and those are in the FSM.

Yup that's the same as mine. I played around with it last night and determined that it really doesn't matter what the orientation of it is. The dial in the TPS only moves one direction, so resistance only moves in one direction. I've got it back in the bike now and it was all within the spec (was sitting at 4.96 Kohms after I locked it down) and was working properly when the throttle was depressed. I mounted it in the facing up orientation so it was easier to access the pins if I ever need to check it again in the future. Replaced the break-off bolts with allen heads as well. Thanks for the picture, much appreciated.

Edited by Coyote251
  • Like 1