Mully

Foreman 400 starter gear damaged

Hi all 

I’m working on a Honda foreman 400 with a starting issue. It makes a terrible noise when the starter is engaged. I found some wear on the starter

splines and then I seen a tooth broken from the gear inside which the starter engages. I can replace the gear and starter, but I’m worried there may be something causing the fault and I’m don’t what to end up with the same fault again. Any help would be great.?

My best guess is that your Foreman had a china aftermarket starter motor on it? 

That's a good point Retro. I will ask the owner if he has fitted a starter at some stage. And I will post a picture of the starter later.  Thanks 

see pictures.  That's the only brand on the starter, does anyone know if its a Chinese one? See the damage on the splines of starter and see tooth broken on gear inside.  ????

20231230_120214.jpg

20231230_120145.jpg

20231230_120118.jpg

@Mully, that is definitely a Mitsuba genuine Honda starter motor. I haven't seen that kind of wear on a Honda starter armature shaft and chipped tooth damage to the driven gear, except on the old '86-'89 TRX350 Fourtrax models. My best guess is that the driven gear tooth broke off (it is much softer metal than the armature shaft is) first, then the armature shaft got destroyed by the chipped tooth driven gear. The broken tooth is in the oil sump now, so best practice is to find it and get it out of there while you are replacing parts.

You'll need a genuine Honda replacement starter motor, you might find a used one at Powersportsnation.com that you can prepare for a long life by replacing the brushes with OEM brush kits.

• Like 1