Red Good

Rubicon rancher 500 2001

Oil is clean and right on the marks , shift motor works good now , internal was stuck , once got the selector moving the thing shifts fine and has for over a month or so .pulls a fairly heavy load . Now it has started grinding 1 st thru 3rd at low speed or when you pull away with no load . Goes away once your rolling over 5 mph . Any ideas  ? Sounds like it a shifter motor with a bent shift fork and once going faster than walking it cleans up and sounds correct .

Edited by Red Good
more info

What year is it? Is the oil clean and the oil level right on the money?

• Like 1

@Red Good, I see you found the new board.  Any luck on the grinding noise?

A guy named Brian Betram is the Hondamatic whiz.  He's been on the board a few times, but not often.  He does however, respond to emails.  

I'll PM you his email address.  He also sells an oil pressure gauge setup on ebay that he cobbles together.  About half the price of the Honda gauge and fitting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144190959908?fits=Make%3AHonda&itmmeta=01HQV19SFJ3J5W3W7YHNC26SAA&hash=item2192737124:g:2x8AAOSwsVFhOA1e&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0MFUNUk%2B2N1WuwFDIFH32xzIA9E0vGIApjJypPlx8dXOSfTLk9nfekZ%2Ba250BWChwHvYBXUAW0PX3slVCXacE7ulaNbc36x8CXLDJX7liohFCTInsSwZUsdWeOEFaf5X1do7Pxxylx5dp0PryD7GCb6uJRWQoX1TGMQ%2BPuJhYGYgZW4C0HPhsnziLtFsGIict7oQF3ffRiq0x0K7sQJQ7p6q84ygZB%2FkGefp3o8WON7uEIRIu7cS6gYgADGrT%2Ba929knIPU6fLdU4f8l3sYLVMI%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_qXp-G-Yw

If your oil is full, your oil pump might be bad.  The early Hondamatic oil pumps had known issues.  Honda put in an updated oil pump in mid 2004 as best as I can tell, and the newer models don't have anywhere near the problems the early models did.  The new oil pump will bolt right in place of the older style.

Please let us know what you find out.  There isn't a tremendous amount of info on the Hondamatics out there, and I'm trying to get a good bit of reference here to help people with them.

A new oil pump might fix the issue if the Hondamatic isn’t bad.  

My Father in Law’s 06 has 13k hard miles on it and going strong 

If it's slipping, yes.  Could be the Hondamatic, could be the oil pump starving the Hondamatic for oil pressure. 

Until you can do an oil pressure test you shouldn't keep running it.   If your Hondamatic is still ok you might get by replacing the oil pump.  If you keep running it with low oil pressure you will destroy the Hondamatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moves the needle at idle and about 40-45 psi at 2000 rpm , Nowhere near enough . Looks like you need to split the cases to replace the oi; pump ? Time for a new drop in ?

Correct, sounds like it’s time for a new oil pump.

The 05–14 updated oil pump is a much better design and bolts right in.  You will see that part supersedes the original oil pump part number from 01–04

• Thanks 1