BIG ERT

2019 Rancher TRX420FA2 4 - flashes

Hello everyone, 

I’m new here thanks for allowing me to be here. I have a 2019 TRX420FA2 that flashes a bar (-) 4 times. Can anybody help me to understand what this means. Thank you. 

Welcome aboard. 

If you go to the "service manuals" at the top of the page, click the links to download the service manual.  

Section 4-8 and 4-9 have the error codes.  There is no code 4, but there is a code 44.

Is your cooling fan on as well?  

Thanks for the info. That’s why I’m so confused because it is 4 short flashes and no my fan is not on. 

One other thing is I put a new main valve body, shift motor, and a new shift angle sensor. 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERT said:

Thanks for the info. That’s why I’m so confused because it is 4 short flashes and no my fan is not on. 

Have a smartphone?  Can you take a video of the flashing and post it up?

Does it have a long pause at the end with a -- and then the 4 flashes again? Have you shifted it manually to make sure it's in neutral and not stuck between 2 gears?

16 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Does it have a long pause at the end with a -- and then the 4 flashes again? Have you shifted it manually to make sure it's in neutral and not stuck between 2 gears?

Video above worked for me.   Looks like error code 4, which isn't in the FSM.  You have any ideas?

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Video above worked for me.   Looks like error code 4, which isn't in the FSM.  You have any ideas?

It cut off before it went through the check phase and then repeat the code (same or different). If it continually repeats the 4 flashes with no long pause (check) I have no idea and shifting it manually should bring up a code. It will be a worthless code (self inflicted) but a code. If it is stuck between gears (I've had it happen a few times) that might be all it takes to get it going again.

Ok cool.  Thanks I will check on the morning. I will repost to let you know what I find out. Thanks again. 

Good morning everyone,

So I used the manual tool to shift it and it does not shift. Now before I put the new valve on it shifted and drove. Really has me baffled. 

I don't think the valves really have anything to do with the mechanical aspect of the shifting.  They divert oil pressure to the dual clutches.   Is that correct @toodeep?

(otherwise I'd tell you to remove the valve and see if it will shift with the valve not in place, but I don't want you to do unnecessary work and i think toodeep has more experience with these than I do)

37 minutes ago, BIG ERT said:

Good morning everyone,

So I used the manual tool to shift it and it does not shift. Now before I put the new valve on it shifted and drove. Really has me baffled. 

It is trying to shift but won't go into a gear (rocking the machine back and forth) or won't shift at all? If not at all I would start with removing the shift motor cover so you can watch the gears when trying to shift. If you get to that point you can also remove the gears and make sure the shift shaft to returns to the neutral position by its self (important that it does) when trying to shift it.

• Like 1

Correct it will not shift even rocking it back and forth. Ok I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again. 

Ok so I pulled the shift motor and cleaned everything re-greased the gears and got it to where it would shift into1st, 2nd, and 3rd but wouldn’t go any higher, it will down shift but won’t go passed 1st. I am going to change the shift mechanism on the handle bars. It’s the only other thing I can think of. 

Did you make sure the shift shaft will return by itself with the shift reduction gears removed? There is a stop pin inside the motor that can break and that will tell us if it has or not.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:41 PM, BIG ERT said:

Is there a way to check it or what do I need to look for?

Gotta pull the front cover.   It's # 18 in this schematic.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2009/trx420fa-a-fourtrax-rancher-at/gearshift-fork

If you stand the machine up on the rear rack it will sit upright, and you can pull the front cover off and check it out.  Turn your fuel petcock off and cap the vent line on the gas tank before you do so.

Ok I can do that. Is there any way to use a scope of some kind to look at it through any opening?

Not really.  You have some sort of issue under there so I’d just pull it and see what you find.

Great help. I just took it to a shop where they can find out what’s up. I will let you know when I find out.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

When your manually shifting it, when you push or pull the lever the internal spring should try to put the shaft back into the neutral state. With the shift reductions gears installed it will give drag on that, the reason I said to do it when they was out. If it "springs" back, that pin will be good. If it doesn't, you found a problem and time to tear into it.