Crutch174

Good head gasket?

01 Forman Rubicon 500, had coolant in oil, so I tore it down, the cam lobes where chewed up picked up a used one, cam chain was also garbage, water pump bearing was toast. So while in there I replaced the rings, got it all back together and runs good, except I forgot to check the head if it's warped! Needless to say coolant is seeping out on the lowest side of head when running. So what's a good head gasket? I used a after market one

17 minutes ago, Crutch174 said:

01 Forman Rubicon 500, had coolant in oil, so I tore it down, the cam lobes where chewed up picked up a used one, cam chain was also garbage, water pump bearing was toast. So while in there I replaced the rings, got it all back together and runs good, except I forgot to check the head if it's warped! Needless to say coolant is seeping out on the lowest side of head when running. So what's a good head gasket? I used a after market one

oem all the way, stay far...far away from any after market parts, when you can get oem. if and when it comes time where we can't get oem anymore ?, then i will use china junk ( we won't have a choice ), until then, i will use oem all the way !. just ask jeep69 what he went through awhile back when he tried using a after market head gasket ?!!..lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Crutch174 said:

Thanks, I was trying to save a couple of bucks, but in the long run it's costing more !

and that my friend, is how it gets you every time !..folks want to save a few bucks, when in the long run, it always..ALWAYS ENDS UP COSTING THEM MORE MONEY AND TIME !.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

oem all the way, stay far...far away from any after market parts, when you can get oem. if and when it comes time where we can't get oem anymore ?, then i will use china junk ( we won't have a choice ), until then, i will use oem all the way !. just ask jeep69 what he went through awhile back when he tried using a after market head gasket ?!!..lol.

Yep, I had a Rubicon and an aftermarket top end gasket set.  Gave me fits trying to get the valve cover on as the aftermarket gasket wasn't stiff enough to hold up the push rods.  The OEM gasket make it MUCH easier to do.

• Like 2