hamp363

No Spark. 97 Honda Foreman 400

3 hours ago, hamp363 said:

What is the best way to check for spark on these machines 

you can test the reg/rec, ohm the stator and pickup coil, ohm the spark plug coil. there is no way to test the c.d.i. other than with a known working c.d.i. . MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NUETRAL LIGHT ON THE DASH ?~!..IF NO LIGHT ?..NO SPARK  !.

Thanks for the reply. I have a neutral light. I have replaced everything that you had listed except the stator. Checked the stator and was within the specs. I am out of ideas. I know the machine had sat for a period of time. Is there anything that I am over looking. Oh, also replaced the kill switch. Same result 

26 minutes ago, hamp363 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have a neutral light. I have replaced everything that you had listed except the stator. Checked the stator and was within the specs. I am out of ideas. I know the machine had sat for a period of time. Is there anything that I am over looking. Oh, also replaced the kill switch. Same result 

Use OEM parts or chinese amazon/ebay stuff?  If you're using anything but OEM parts, first thing to do is put your original parts back on to start troubleshooting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hamp363 said:

how did you test the c.d.i. ?, as i said...THERE IS NO TEST, OTHER THAN REPLACING WITH A KNOWN WORKING C.D.I. FROM ANOTHER ATV OF SAID MAKE/MODEL !. now...you can try tapping on c.d.i. while cranking it, while watching for spark at plug.

43 minutes ago, hamp363 said:

I put a new cdi on the machine. 

OEM?  All the other parts OEM?

Roger that. I have the manual. I guess I will go through the connections again.

4 hours ago, hamp363 said:

I put a new cdi on the machine. 

where did you buy the c.d.i. from ?.

1 hour ago, hamp363 said:

Local Honda shop 

ok..then you got other ele issues going on..reg/rec ?, spark plug coil ?, kill switch ?. run these test again.