David13

Battery Date Code

I have had a Yuasa battery in my Rancher 420 for almost 5 years.

It still seems to hold up, but being that old, I got a new one.

But I cannot decipher any date code on the new one.

I did try to order one online, but they said they were sold old (the computer indicated that).

When I got a message that they were in stock I went to the store and got a new battery.

But looking all over it, I can see no date code.

The reason why I'm concerned as, last year, I wen to Auto Zone to get a battery for my Jeep.  The clerk brought one over to the counter.  Date code on it was over a year old.  On a 3 year warranty battery?  I said, can you go back over to the shelf and get me one that is newr.

"Oh", he says, "we get them all at the same time so they all have the same date."  

I then went over to the shelf and took the one on the back end which, according to the date code on it was about one month old.  And bought that one.

So, any ideas as to how to tell how old this Yuasa battery is?

dc

Can you post the code ? Should be something like this example for two digits (17) < year, next two would be the month >(05) next two would be the day > (20) last two would be plant / and shift > (68) 1705206B

That's the problem.  I don't have any code or anything else that could be interpreted as the date of manufacture. 

I guess they don't use one or have one on their batteries.  Unless someone can tell me what number where, etc.  RE13BV is stamped or etched near the top.  Supposedly some sources say that's it.  I don't think so.  BV or BU, I don't know.

Sure doesn't seem like a date code to me. 

dc

Yeah….this was on the Yuasa site. 

All Yuasa EN & ENL, NP, NPC, NPH, NPL, NPW, RE, REC, REW, SWL, TEV, UXH, UXL and Yucel Series of Industrial VRLA Batteries have a date code for when the batteries were made which is usually stamped on the top of each battery. This date format only applies to industrial batteries (does not apply to automotive batteries such as car, motorcycle or leisure)