new coil and red boot

new rectifier

new Honda carb

new armortech stock muffler

new head pipe and copper gasket

new air filter 

new piston, cylinder and rings 100 miles ago

the muffler has a high pitch whistle. 

I’ve sprayed starter fluid around all intake boots and it doesn’t change. 

new DID timing / cam chain 100 miles ago. Timing is set right. I checked it 3 times. 

it is hard to start and sputters 0 - 1/4 throttle. Good top speed and after running for awhile it runs well but still a little hot for my liking.  Having the airbox cover off doesn’t help the issue. 

24 minutes ago, Brantley Foreman said:

I’m at my whitts end on this four wheeler

heres what’s been replaced with OEM new parts

new valves lapped and seated well. Valves Adjusted properly

new boot to cylinder head and air box 

new CDI

new coil and red boot

new rectifier

new Honda carb

new armortech stock muffler

new head pipe and copper gasket

new air filter 

new piston, cylinder and rings 100 miles ago

the muffler has a high pitch whistle. 

I’ve sprayed starter fluid around all intake boots and it doesn’t change. 

new DID timing / cam chain 100 miles ago. Timing is set right. I checked it 3 times. 

it is hard to start and sputters 0 - 1/4 throttle. Good top speed and after running for awhile it runs well but still a little hot for my liking.  Having the airbox cover off doesn’t help the issue. 

ok..my first question is, you say all oem parts, but where did you buy them from ?..amazon ?, ebay ?, because i'm pretty sure most of the parts you posted are discontinued if i'm not mistaken ?. if they ARE oem from honda , and not some after market china junk ?, then you have issues with your compression ?, or timing ?. if you got the timing out 180 ?, i hope you did not bend a valve ?..lol. hopefully you have the timing close. sooo..let's take a step back for a min, gonna ask..when you installed the d.i.d. cam chain , did you check ALL of the timing marks during the cam chain install ?. there are 3 timing marks that MUST line up when you install the cam chain. if any of this is not right ?, you will get the results you are getting right now.

new oem carb, $ 527.81...you spent this on a oem carb ??..if you did ?..hats off to you !..lol. i just looked on rmatv...and thats what a oem carb cost,...and its not in stock ?..which tells me..its discontinued..lol.

Yes, oem Honda parts from Honda dealers in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi. I searched hard to find all the parts but I found them. Everything came I. Honda packaging. 

all the timing marks are lined up. 

I just went on a 10 miles ride with my son (mostly full throttle on gravel road) and it ran great. Only backfilled once on a deceleration at stop sign. 

it just doesn’t like starting and 0- 1/4 throttle. 

12 hours ago, Brantley Foreman said:

Yes, oem Honda parts from Honda dealers in Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi. I searched hard to find all the parts but I found them. Everything came I. Honda packaging. 

all the timing marks are lined up. 

I just went on a 10 miles ride with my son (mostly full throttle on gravel road) and it ran great. Only backfilled once on a deceleration at stop sign. 

it just doesn’t like starting and 0- 1/4 throttle. 

ok. did you flush the fuel tank out before you installed the carb ?. did you check the pick-up fuel filter on the bottom side of the tank ?. did you check to make sure you were getting plenty of fuel from tank to carb ?. all of this will give you problems. it sounds like you got some trash in your carb from a dirty tank ?..or..you are not getting the right amount of fuel from tank to carb ?. anytime i build an atv, i always try to cover all bases when it comes to getting my engines to run right. also, check to make sure your choke cable is working right ?.

• Like 1

I did flush the tank and installed new Honda peacock. 

Fuel flow to carb is great. 

choke cable moves freely and functions properly 

it’s weird that the only problem is the first start of the day and 0 - 1/4 throttle. Other than that it runs great

Posted (edited)

Shadetree 

I’ll be in north little rock in June fixing a wall failure on I-630. How about I drop off my 450 and see if you can figure it out. After 2-3 years of messing with it I’m tired?

Edited by Brantley Foreman
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brantley Foreman said:

Shadetree 

I’ll be in north little rock in June fixing a wall failure on I-630. How about I drop off my 450 and see if you can figure it out. After 2-3 years of messing with it I’m tired?

lol, well..i hope you live near by ?, cuz i sure as heck ain't gonna bring it too ya !..lol. but sure...bring it by, leave me with some cash in case i need to buy something ?, and i'll check it out. just so you know ?, i'll be ripping into it from scratch, and see where you may have messed up ?. so this may call for more gaskets ?, other than this..i won't charge you much at all for my labor..i give huge discounts to the honda members here.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:11 PM, Brantley Foreman said:

I did flush the tank and installed new Honda peacock. 

Fuel flow to carb is great. 

choke cable moves freely and functions properly 

it’s weird that the only problem is the first start of the day and 0 - 1/4 throttle. Other than that it runs great

this ^^^...tells me its a fuel issue. as in..the air fuel mixture is not correct.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 4:37 PM, shadetree said:

this ^^^...tells me its a fuel issue. as in..the air fuel mixture is not correct.

So before I bought the new OEM carb I cleaned 3 OEM carbs that I had. They all behaved in the same way. I adjusted the air fuel mixture screw out 3.5 times or as much as I could before it fell out and this did not change the difficulty in starting. I adjusted the clip on the needle jet with no change in the behavior. This is why I think it is not carb issue but honestly I don't know anymore. You know how it is when you have been fighting something for 3 years you just get tired!

7 hours ago, Brantley Foreman said:

So before I bought the new OEM carb I cleaned 3 OEM carbs that I had. They all behaved in the same way. I adjusted the air fuel mixture screw out 3.5 times or as much as I could before it fell out and this did not change the difficulty in starting. I adjusted the clip on the needle jet with no change in the behavior. This is why I think it is not carb issue but honestly I don't know anymore. You know how it is when you have been fighting something for 3 years you just get tired!

only other thing i can think of is either the pick up coil ?, or the stator ?. this is..if you have installed all new oem parts as you said ^^ ?. when i build my engines/projects..i never run into this issue.