MarkRawlinson

2002 TRX500FA rubicon no spark

I've replaced the stator, regulator, ignition coil and wire with OEM parts and eleminated the kill switch. My current CDI box is getting hot with the key on, so I replaced with a new OEM one. The new one is getting hot also, so I unplugged it. I've checked my grounds and appear to be all good. Does anyone know what would cause this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard.   When you say "eliminated the kill switch" what exactly did you do?  

Posted (edited)

My mechanic cut the wire just before the cdi box. Not sure if that’s good or bad. 

Edited by MarkRawlinson

Hi @MarkRawlinson you have to put that wire back on the kill switch --- unplug the control motor to see if the heat on the ECM goes away

OK, I'm going to warn you.   Melatv and possibly Retro will chime and and give you very tedious and detailed instructions.   While a lot of it will make you say "WTF" keep in mind that electrical troubleshooting on these things is very difficult to do over the computer.   Those two specifically, and a few others on the board to a lesser degree, can pretty much walk you through ANY electrical issue on these Hondas, but you have to do exactly what they tell you, and don't skip or assume anything.

It might take a while, since we aren't on here "live" all the time, but stick with it, and eventually they'll get you sorted out.   If you need clarification on anything, be sure and ask.    If you assume some vital info might be omitted and keep you chasing your tail.

I hate electrical stuff, but the guys here have walked me through some bad stuff over the years and I haven't had a machine win yet.