speedoflife

Rancher DCT IRS rattling 5th gear

19 hours ago, speedoflife said:

Ouch ok thanks for the advice.

That dealer is 2.5 hours away and the next ones are 3.5 hours away. 

This dealer said they check the fluid level before it leaves (then why was it still wrong…?). They will take it apart but if they find nothing broken they are worried I will end up footing the bill. 

If they can hear the noise, I would ask them if it's normal.  When they say "no" then I would say "something is obviously wrong or it wouldn't be making that noise....

I hate to say it, but you might have to just make noise and get progressively louder until someone addresses your issue.

Sad that it's that way.    It will be a PITA to get them to address it, and you could just always learn to live with it, but were it me, I'd make them miserable until I got resolution.   We all know it shouldn't be making that noise, and with 80 miles on it they should be taking care of it.

• Like 1

Have you tried calling Honda of America?  Get a live person on the phone rather than an auto reply.  Ask for a supervisor.  Tell them the dealership told you to "run it till it breaks"

If you're the social media type, tag the dealer and their response to your problem.   Set up in front of their shop on a saturday morning with a big sign that says "My brand new 2024 Honda that I purchased here has something wrong wiith it and this dealership won't even look into it".

Again, you shouldn't HAVE to do all this, but I'd sure do it on principle.

You might try calling the next closest dealership and tell them what's going on, see what they say.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Have you tried calling Honda of America?  Get a live person on the phone rather than an auto reply.  Ask for a supervisor.  Tell them the dealership told you to "run it till it breaks"

If you're the social media type, tag the dealer and their response to your problem.   Set up in front of their shop on a saturday morning with a big sign that says "My brand new 2024 Honda that I purchased here has something wrong wiith it and this dealership won't even look into it".

Again, you shouldn't HAVE to do all this, but I'd sure do it on principle.

You might try calling the next closest dealership and tell them what's going on, see what they say.  

sounds like he's more afraid of getting stuck with a work bill than getting anything done ?..but hey..its his atv. myself ?..i don't give up when i know i am in the right.

19 hours ago, shadetree said:

sounds like he's more afraid of getting stuck with a work bill than getting anything done ?..but hey..its his atv. myself ?..i don't give up when i know i am in the right.

Here’s a quote from someone in another forum. By the time I lose a day of potential work and the fuel on trailering my new atv all around the world I can just have this fixed. I’ve called 2 additional dealers and this is a losing battle. They are there to make money not help me. If you have the passion and spare time, I’m happy to let you call more dealers and waste your life on this issue.

We just got done spending nearly $10k on my first ever new ATV and have a newborn and toddler to deal with. 

Bought a brand new 2023 500 SXS, less than 100 miles and it has the same problem. Get a loud clatter sound from the rear differential. The sound is most frequent when topping a hill, or when applying a bit of throttle while traveling downhill. Mostly when the differential Isn’t under load. Spent a ton of time talking to Honda USA and was told that it was normal and not to worry about it. Unless there are metal shavings in the differential gear oil, Honda said there was nothing to fix. Dealer tried to help me turn in a warranty repair request to Honda and they were turned down. Had several discussions with the repair department of the dealer that sold me the unit. First he said they have had multiple customer complaints about this problem relating to 700 and 500 SXS. They said that the most likely cause was that the pinion gear in the differential wasn’t shimmed correctly at the factory, was moving around, and not correctly lining up with the ring gear. The dealer said it was a relatively inexpensive fix (few hundred bucks). Rather than continue to fight Honda in a losing battle, I paid the dealer to re-shim and align the pinion gear. That fixed the problem! based On the diagnosis and fix this was a factory defect that should not have happened and Honda should have fixed. It most likely would have lead to a rear differential failure at some point in time. Shame on Honda for not correcting these errors At the factory!”

Ah, so it's the ring gear rattling against the pinion gear?   That's not a terrible job, especially given the straight cut gears these have.   It still SUCKS that Honda isn't taking care of it though!  From what I've seen/read/heard, dealers hate warranty work.  They don't make much of anything on it, and it ties up their mechanics.  I'd still think the place that sold you the wheeler would want to do it as a good will gesture, but I guess not.

I'm sorry you got a lemon.   I have a 4 year old, 19 year old, and 20 year old (all girls).  When the older girls were young I was a single dad.   Wrench time (and funds) were limited for sure.  When the kids got a little older I had more time to wrench, and then I decided I hated having free time so I had another kid🤡

Anyhow, if you want to tackle this yourself, it's just unbolting parts, taking things apart, putting it back together with a new shim in there.   If you want to tackle it yourself, we can walk you through it.  Won't be anything difficult, just unbolting and re bolting stuff together.  You'd need a pinon gear socket, but a piece of square tubing seems to work for most people.

Again, sucks that you're having to work on a new Honda already.   I'd be noisey to Honda corporate, send them what you posted above from the other forum.  I think Honda is still at the top of the food chain as far as reliability goes, but they are no longer head and shoulders above the competition like they used to be.   I've gotten away from newer Honda stuff, but I have a LOT of older Honda vehicles, ATV's, and various small engines.  They used to be better.  Sucks, but that's what it is.

If you need advice on the job, let us know.  If you have someone else do the job, have them take pics and document what they find here please.   It will likely help others with the same issue.  Might even force Honda into a recall situation, which is really what should happen.

1 hour ago, speedoflife said:

Here’s a quote from someone in another forum. By the time I lose a day of potential work and the fuel on trailering my new atv all around the world I can just have this fixed. I’ve called 2 additional dealers and this is a losing battle. They are there to make money not help me. If you have the passion and spare time, I’m happy to let you call more dealers and waste your life on this issue.

We just got done spending nearly $10k on my first ever new ATV and have a newborn and toddler to deal with. 

Bought a brand new 2023 500 SXS, less than 100 miles and it has the same problem. Get a loud clatter sound from the rear differential. The sound is most frequent when topping a hill, or when applying a bit of throttle while traveling downhill. Mostly when the differential Isn’t under load. Spent a ton of time talking to Honda USA and was told that it was normal and not to worry about it. Unless there are metal shavings in the differential gear oil, Honda said there was nothing to fix. Dealer tried to help me turn in a warranty repair request to Honda and they were turned down. Had several discussions with the repair department of the dealer that sold me the unit. First he said they have had multiple customer complaints about this problem relating to 700 and 500 SXS. They said that the most likely cause was that the pinion gear in the differential wasn’t shimmed correctly at the factory, was moving around, and not correctly lining up with the ring gear. The dealer said it was a relatively inexpensive fix (few hundred bucks). Rather than continue to fight Honda in a losing battle, I paid the dealer to re-shim and align the pinion gear. That fixed the problem! based On the diagnosis and fix this was a factory defect that should not have happened and Honda should have fixed. It most likely would have lead to a rear differential failure at some point in time. Shame on Honda for not correcting these errors At the factory!”

if that dealer has heard it, knows its making a noise ?, then by all means...MAKE THEM FIX IT !. it is a brand new machine, it has a warranty..freaking use it !. tell them up front before they rip it apart..you will not pay a dime !. worse comes to worse...hire a lawyer..or at least make them aware that you will hire a lawyer ?!.  but dang ..don't give up..this is what they want you to do !. this is what is wrong with us now..too many folks give in..give up..think they don't have a battle ?..well guess what ?..if i know i am in the right ?..you can bet your very last dollar...I'M GOING TO FIGHT TO THE VERY LAST BREATH I HAVE !. and you should do the same. take/make a stand for yourself.

I had an issue something like this many moons ago, first wife ( yeah..we won't talk about that ..lol ) anyway, we got the gas bill one month, it was like 50 times higher than it normally would have been ?. she was like '' well...you have to pay it ''..i was like umm..nooooo..i'm not paying that bill..not because i did not feel like it ?..but because i knew it was not right !. sooo..i headed off to the gas company, walked in..let them have it..sure enough..they admitted it was wrong, got the bill again..it was right this time. i went right up to her face..told her '' DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T FIGHT IT '' !..bottom line: hold your ground !.

If you decide to tackle this on your own ?, we are here to guide ya. keep us posted please.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

if that dealer has heard it, knows its making a noise ?, then by all means...MAKE THEM FIX IT !. it is a brand new machine, it has a warranty..freaking use it !. tell them up front before they rip it apart..you will not pay a dime !. worse comes to worse...hire a lawyer..or at least make them aware that you will hire a lawyer ?!.  but dang ..don't give up..this is what they want you to do !. this is what is wrong with us now..too many folks give in..give up..think they don't have a battle ?..well guess what ?..if i know i am in the right ?..you can bet your very last dollar...I'M GOING TO FIGHT TO THE VERY LAST BREATH I HAVE !. and you should do the same. take/make a stand for yourself.

I had an issue something like this many moons ago, first wife ( yeah..we won't talk about that ..lol ) anyway, we got the gas bill one month, it was like 50 times higher than it normally would have been ?. she was like '' well...you have to pay it ''..i was like umm..nooooo..i'm not paying that bill..not because i did not feel like it ?..but because i knew it was not right !. sooo..i headed off to the gas company, walked in..let them have it..sure enough..they admitted it was wrong, got the bill again..it was right this time. i went right up to her face..told her '' DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T FIGHT IT '' !..bottom line: hold your ground !.

If you decide to tackle this on your own ?, we are here to guide ya. keep us posted please.

You sure are crotchety.   I agree with you, and feel the same way.  Does that mean I'm crotchety too?

19 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You sure are crotchety.   I agree with you, and feel the same way.  Does that mean I'm crotchety too?

yes...i taught you well grass hopper !...lol.

OP, keep in mind, if you tackle this issue ( fix it yourself )..get in too deep..and decide to take it to a dealer ?, they will void whatever warranty you had on it ?, i'll bank on this !.

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

OP, keep in mind, if you tackle this issue ( fix it yourself )..get in too deep..and decide to take it to a dealer ?, they will void whatever warranty you had on it ?, i'll bank on this !.

Ha! You’re definitely right. 

Jeep and Shadetree, y’all are awesome thanks for the advice and insight. I’ll keep hounding Honda for a bit and if that won’t work I’m confident that with yalls help I can fix this. Wrenches don’t scare me lol

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, speedoflife said:

Ha! You’re definitely right. 

Jeep and Shadetree, y’all are awesome thanks for the advice and insight. I’ll keep hounding Honda for a bit and if that won’t work I’m confident that with yalls help I can fix this. Wrenches don’t scare me lol

I'd send Honda of America that link you copied above.  See if they want to ignore that again.   When word starts floating around the net about a problem, it should force their hand.

Keep us posted!