Diamondbar

2006 Rancher ES Reverse & Neutral Lights are on, and will not start

I have a 2006 Rancher 350 ES.  I noticed the get indictator light flashing for a while, but I always seemed to get it back to neutral and started .  Then only dashes show up on the screen and the Reverse and Neutral lights are always on , and the ATV will not start. 

I've changed the shift motor, the angle sensor first.  Still the lights are on and will not shift or start.  

Then I installed the by pass shift kit.  I can hear the gears shift , but still the reverse and neutral lights are on , and no start.  

Any ideas would be great.  

Thank you, 

Diamondbar 

Welcome to the forum.  The machine must register that it's in neutral or it won't start.

I'd start off with using a 12MM on the emergency shifter to ensure that  the bike is, in fact, in neutral. 

If you get it into neutral and still have both lights, and a no-start problem, then we'll have to dig into wring.

Thank you ,

I can move it forward and backwards.  With the shift by pass kit I can hear it shift , I tried starting it in all the gears .  The screen still shows dashes where the N - 5 gear indicator is .  Reverse and Neutral are still on . 

Thanks again for the comment . 

I'm dealing with a no spark issue on an 05, so maybe we can figure them both out.  My meter is GONE though, so I can't see any of the lights.

If you look at the top of the page, you'll see a "service manuals" button.   Follow the links and download the service manual.

First thing I'd do is look at the -- on the meter.  Are they blinking a particular pattern?  Normally that's where the computer will show error codes pointing to your problem.  It will be a series of long and/or short blinks, which repeats.

So look at that and see what error code the machine is throwing.

It sounds like the gear position switch might be bad. The service manual explains how to test it using a multimeter. Also check the reverse switch located on the lower left rear of the motor. It has a single wire connector plugged into it.... make sure that it is plugged in.