Hello I am new to the site .. I have a question my 1998 Foreman 450 ES was running fine I decided to wash it and i sprayed underneath it with a water hose removed grass, weeds ,sticks. I then cranked it up and moved it I came back about 10 mins later to move it and it would not start and smoke was coming out of the CDI box. I took it off after it cooled down and it was melted and separated.

I want to know what do you think caused it and  do you think if I put another one on it will fry it ? 

Welcome aboard.  

First question is, was the CDI the original unit?   If aftermarket, they tend to be junk, and water probably got in the CDI itself and shorted it.

If OEM, I would inspect the wiring in that area, and see if you had a chaffed/ exposed wire that might have grounded out, frying the CDI.   You certainly don't want to repeat the situation with a new CDI.  I suspect you have a chaffed wire somewhere and when things got wet, it grounded to the frame, shorting the CDI.

Do NOT buy aftermarket when you replace the unit.  Used OEM is much preferable to new aftermarket.  These Hondas do not like chinese electrical crap.

Well I'd get another original Honda CDI.   I would look over the wiring harness really well for chaffed/ bare wires before I plugged in the new CDI.

@shadetree you ever seen a CDI spontaneously combust, or do you think he has a dead short somewhere on a wire?

On 8/6/2024 at 9:12 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Well I'd get another original Honda CDI.   I would look over the wiring harness really well for chaffed/ bare wires before I plugged in the new CDI.

@shadetree you ever seen a CDI spontaneously combust, or do you think he has a dead short somewhere on a wire?

i have never even seen a c.d.i. burn up, period !. i've had them not start up a atv?, but not go up in smoke. yes, a short somewhere in the harness could cause this.

before you go to install a new oem c.d.i. ?, look the wire harness over very good to see if you don't have a cut in it anywhere ??.

Ok , I will look at the wires like I said all i did was was wash it with low pressure water however i have a skid plate and i was sticking my hands everywhere pulling out leaves and dirt. Cranked it then it smoked .