booniehoonie

Hi I'm jeff and have a problem

Hi I'm new here and I have a problem. I have a 2000 honda rancher 350es 2wd. It will not shift at all or make any noise. It started out not doing it all the time but I just got worse. I've replaced the angle sensor the shift motor and the controls on the handle bars still nothing. What else can I do? Or is their any aftermarket kits that work. 

Welcome aboard Jeff.   First question is, did you use OEM parts when you replaced the bits?

Second question is, will the machine shift ok with the emergency shifter (where the footshifter would be on a footshift bike)?

Take a gander at this as well, but that second question will determine whether you have an electrical issue or a mechanical issue.

I've tried both oem parts and aftermarket parts. I've put a wrench on the shifter shaft sticking out it seems to shift fine it's a little tough to doit by hand but it does shift. I found a bypass kit on the internet that I've ordered but don't know if it will work

15 hours ago, booniehoonie said:

I've tried both oem parts and aftermarket parts. I've put a wrench on the shifter shaft sticking out it seems to shift fine it's a little tough to doit by hand but it does shift. I found a bypass kit on the internet that I've ordered but don't know if it will work

Those bypass kits seem to work ok, but I think they tend to be a little harder on the electrical components.  IIRC, the Honda bits tone down the voltage a bit to make the shift motor last longer.   That might only be the selectable front diff though.  Can't remember.  Retro is the electrical guy who wrote that post above I linked to, and I THINK he said something along those lines a while back.

As for "little tough to do", you're fighting the shift motor and gears.   I'd take the motor off and clean those gears well, and LIGHTLY grease them.  The factory grease gets gummy over the years (again, see Retro's post above that I linked).   Have you tried adjusting your clutch?  There's a 14MM nut on the front of the engine.  Loosen that, and turn the screw in the middle counterclockwise until you feel firm resistance, then back 1/4 turn clockwise and tighten that lock nut back.

If the screw is seized (not uncommon) you'll probably have to remove the front engine cover to get it loosened up where you can adjust the clutch.

My opinion, see if the bypass kit works.  If so, leave things alone.  If it doesn't work well, try adjusting your clutch.

• Like 1