PhilC

Engine will not fire

From Australia

I have a Honda 450 ES 2000 model

Yesterday I worked on it all day parked it in the shed and as I was turning it off I think that the kill switch was bumped accidently as the engine shut down with very sharp short clunk.  This morning I went to start it and it would crank strongly but would not start.  I worked the kill switch several times but the engine would only crank but the engine would not fire.  Can I by-pass the kill switch?  Any other suggestions as to what might be the cause of it not firing up?

Welcome aboard.   Do you have a strong green neutral light on the dash, and an N on the meter display?

Download the factory service manual (see the "service manuals" right under the site logo), look on page 20-17 for troubleshooting on that kill switch.  

Yes, I have a strong green light on the dash but the instrument cluster failed several years ago so I cannot see any display and have to change gears by memory of what gear I am in or judgement of engine speed/revs.

Will check out continuity as per page 20-17 of the manual.

Also, my whole instrument cluster needs replacement. Are they available in the US, none here in Oz.

19 hours ago, PhilC said:

Yes, I have a strong green light on the dash but the instrument cluster failed several years ago so I cannot see any display and have to change gears by memory of what gear I am in or judgement of engine speed/revs.

Will check out continuity as per page 20-17 of the manual.

Also, my whole instrument cluster needs replacement. Are they available in the US, none here in Oz.

The 450ES meters are discontinued and working used units are $$$ now, unfortunately.  We have a meter guy here @AKATV who can sometimes repair them, but I'll bet shipping from down under would be super pricey.