rewaren

'91 TRX300FW Front CV Joint

Hello, new member here, thanks in advance for your patience.

I have a 1991 TRX300FW and It just started making a "popping" sound on the front left side while operating.  Based on other research (I am new at troubleshooting these things) I pulled the front CV axle and inspected.  I don't find anything obvious with the CV Joint, it has plenty of grease on both ends, movement of joints seem to be free, etc.  The only thing I noticed was excessive axial movement when I grab the shaft and pull back and forth.  The excessive movement is coming from, not the joints themselves, but where the surface mates to the gearbox.  It is actually moving about 3/16" away from the gearbox, when jiggled back and forth. The other side does not do this.  Anyway, attached is a pic showing where the axial movement is, and the mating surfaces are separating a bit (3/16").  Anyway, just trying to address this popping sound.

Thanks for any advise.

TRX300FW CV Joint 2024-08-28.jpg

Welcome aboard.   Is there excessive wear in the bearing in that knuckle?   How long have you had the machine?  I wonder if the axle is the proper unit for that machine.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.   Is there excessive wear in the bearing in that knuckle?   How long have you had the machine?  I wonder if the axle is the proper unit for that machine.

I just bought the ATV in December, so I have had it less than a year, and I have no idea of the axle is the proper one.

As far as excessive wear on the bearing on that knuckle, I honestly don't know.  I had the axle off the machine and played around with both joints and didn't find excessive wear on my humble opinion, but I may not know.  I was having some work done on my truck this morning and discussed it with my mechanic.  He said it has to be a bad axle on his estimation.

I found an OEM used axle on EBAY for $30 or I found an aftermarket new one for $54.  I think I will take a gamble on the new aftermarket one.

And THANKS for your time.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

2 hours ago, rewaren said:

I just bought the ATV in December, so I have had it less than a year, and I have no idea of the axle is the proper one.

As far as excessive wear on the bearing on that knuckle, I honestly don't know.  I had the axle off the machine and played around with both joints and didn't find excessive wear on my humble opinion, but I may not know.  I was having some work done on my truck this morning and discussed it with my mechanic.  He said it has to be a bad axle on his estimation.

I found an OEM used axle on EBAY for $30 or I found an aftermarket new one for $54.  I think I will take a gamble on the new aftermarket one.

And THANKS for your time.

Used OEM would be better than new aftermarket.  That goes for 99% of parts for your Honda.  Especially electrical stuff!

Powersportsnation is a good one to order from.   There are other sellers on ebay that are reputable as well, that's just the biggest seller of used parts, and they stand behind what they sell.

15 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Used OEM would be better than new aftermarket.  That goes for 99% of parts for your Honda.  Especially electrical stuff!

Powersportsnation is a good one to order from.   There are other sellers on ebay that are reputable as well, that's just the biggest seller of used parts, and they stand behind what they sell.

Thank you!

And , yes, I learned the hard way about the electrical stuff.

Not soon after I got the ATV, I lost spark. After 2 different aftermarket CDIs, one of which was fully endorsed by Rocky Mountain ATV, I ended up with an OEM CDI.  That was painful.

I will give powersportsnation a try.