Andrew G

2002 Rancher 350 FE Shift Problems

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. I am having shift problems and can't find my exact symptoms with a solution and have followed everything I could find in the factory service manual.  My shifter stopped working completely and then worked the next day.  Now it has stopped again.  I checked voltage and had the battery load tested. I have cleaned all the terminals and applied dielectric grease. Emergency shifter works fine, clutch has been adjusted, and the dash indicates the correct gear. I went through the flowchart in the service manual and identified the following issues.

1. Angle sensor - original sensor resistance was 4.66k, in specs. Calculations up and down were over .6 so I replaced based on the up readings being over .4. The new sensor has much different readings but I understand you cannot test it the same way. I get the same readings on the sensor and at the 22p terminal at the ECU.  

2. I am not getting voltage at the angle sensor 3p terminal. The wire has continuity to the ECU terminal. I checked voltage from the corresponding pin on the ECU to ground and had zero. Based on this I replaced the ECU but it did not fix this issue.  It did fix the problem I had with the neutral and reverse lights staying on regardless of gear position. 

3. Gearshift switches have continuity but no voltage going to them.

4. Gear position switch readings don't make sense to me. I get a circuit in the right place for each position and have open circuits on all the others, but there are significant differences in resistance. 1st - 11.4 ohms, 2nd - 5 ohms, 3rd 102 ohms, 4th - 6.8 ohms, 5th - 15.1 ohms, R - 9.1 ohms

5. No continuity between 8p connector and 22p connector for the gear position switch.

The motor spins when removed and connected directly to battery. It does not spin if connected back to the harness. I appreciate any help for what to check next or where to fix.  I already seem to have wasted about $400 on a new factory angle sensor and ECU.

I'll tag @retro.  He's the ES guru.

Be patient, as this is his "getting ready for winter" time so it might be a day or two before he checks the board.

Yeah I am very busy with archery deer setups for others and my own stuff. Not around much.

Anyway, the issue seems to be voltage supply or bad grounds. Unbolt and clean all grounds, there are two harness and motor/frame ground locations. One of them is on the right side of the frame below the seat and slightly behind the motor and the other is on the right side toward the front below the steering head and next to the CDI. Make sure the negative battery cable is clean and bolted tight onto the motor (located near the starter) and where that cable bolts to the frame on the right side. Trace battery voltage through all of the fuses to make sure that there are no overheated/loose fuse sockets and definitely check (and/or bypass it with two jumper wires) the ignition switch.

There is a location on the frame high up on the right side where the wiring harness wraps around the round frame tubing, inspect the harness in that location for any wires that are rubbed through. Make sure that the reverse switch is plugged in (located on the rear motor case) as that single wire plug can get pulled off sometimes. There should be 5 volts DC supplied to the shift switches on the handlebar, the angle sensor and the speed sensor, if I remember right..... It won't shift if the 5 volts supplied by the ECU is not present with the ignition switch turned on.

Check the resistance from motor ground through the gear position switch by unplugging it from the harness and manually shifting to each gear with a 12mm wrench or the emergency shift tool. There is a troubleshooting procedure for that switch in the service manual.

That's all I can think of right now.... I'll drop the wiring diagram here and try to check back from time to time. Have fun!

00-02-rancher-te-fe-wiring.png

• Like 1