JM09

TRX400ex aftermarket light

Recently got a new wiring harness for my 400ex and the old one had a custom wire job, that would let me turn the light on from the switch on the handlebars, and I want to put a light on it without spending money on a new one, but I have no clue how to begin with trying to rig this one up.

17287567001597838690845211921863.jpg

2 hours ago, JM09 said:

Recently got a new wiring harness for my 400ex and the old one had a custom wire job, that would let me turn the light on from the switch on the handlebars, and I want to put a light on it without spending money on a new one, but I have no clue how to begin with trying to rig this one up.

17287567001597838690845211921863.jpg

there should be a green plugin somewhere on the wire harness under front fender for this to plug into. is this oem ?..or after market ?..if its oem ?, then its plug an play. if its after market ?, then there may not be a plugin for it on harness if the trx400ex never had headlights to start with ?. i can tell you from looking at that pic ^^, the bullet wire itself is your ground. the green connector is your high and low beam ( hot ).

I peeled back the tape on the wires, and there is a positive and negative wire that comes from the light, and the negative seems to be connect to both green wires and the positive to the blue wire, would it be possible to connect it somehow to the oem light connection?

17287663771712121133538449515858.jpg

8 minutes ago, JM09 said:

I peeled back the tape on the wires, and there is a positive and negative wire that comes from the light, and the negative seems to be connect to both green wires and the positive to the blue wire, would it be possible to connect it somehow to the oem light connection?

17287663771712121133538449515858.jpg

green is ALWAYS ground !. blue wires and white wires will be your high beam and low beam.

Ok, well would there be a way to hook it up with the handlebar switch, or what wires should I look for.

40 minutes ago, JM09 said:

Ok, well would there be a way to hook it up with the handlebar switch, or what wires should I look for.

does your trx400ex have headlight plug on the harness ?..if it does ?, it will be green also.

1 hour ago, JM09 said:

Yes, its a plug with a green, white, and blue wire

17287721079337424989984160042959.jpg

that is your headlight power connection. does the after market connector slide into it ?. i doubt it will, because the after market connector has the green outside the plastic housing for a ground. i would have bought the oem lights to install, they all match up. spending cheap always ends up costing you in the long run.

I have maer plastics on it, so there isnt a way to put the oem lights on, plus that lightbar I already had. But could I just connect the green and blue wire from the light to the plug and ground the other green wire, could that work?

32 minutes ago, JM09 said:

I have maer plastics on it, so there isnt a way to put the oem lights on, plus that lightbar I already had. But could I just connect the green and blue wire from the light to the plug and ground the other green wire, could that work?

as long as you match colored wires up ?, it should work. just remember, honda uses white wires, and blue wires for high and low beam. green wires for ground. if you have a 12volt dc test light ?, you can test which wires on harness side are low beam and high beam with this test light before you go tapping into the harness wires.