meangene21

TRX350 Not charging

I thought I posted this somewhere on here but i cant find it now... 

I am trying to track down a non charging issue. I have purchased a second Rectifier (amazon special) and both are acting the same....  On what I believe the yellow wires I am getting 35 - 40 volts AC on each of the three legs. I have no continuity to ground on those wires. I have removed the red cable to see what the charge is and I get like 1volt!!!!!!   What is the problem here?  When I had the red wire connected to the rectifier ( leading to the hot side of the battery ) I had only 12volts which match the same as my battery.  My battery is 12.7 volts while sitting.  There is no change in volts while on the throttle.

I have a 2000 TRX350 FE A ES.  Thanks in advanced

Hi meangene21, welcome to ATV Honda!

3 hours ago, meangene21 said:

I have removed the red cable to see what the charge is and I get like 1volt!!!!!!

This is normal behavior. The charging system cannot work unless the circuit is complete, which means that ya gotta have the red output wire connected to a load (the battery in this case), else the charging circuit is open.

You can use your multimeter to find out why the charging system is not working by checking the alternator windings, the ground wire and the output power red wire continuity going to the positive battery terminal. Test specs shown here:

charging.png

Let us know how those alternator & continuity tests go. And be aware that china knockoffs generally do not work on Honda ATVs, so don't feel upset if ya learn that your cheap knockoff regulator turns out to be junk. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back..  That makes me feel better with the voltage not as expected on the rectifier when the red wire was unplugged..    The reason i purchased the knock off is because it came with the terminals and plug. When I bought this atv the red wire was corroded and it broke off. I searched and searched for a new pigtail but could not find anything. So I finally found a new plug and it came with this rectifier. My plan is to redo the rectifier plug. Right now I have been jamming the red wire in the slot. Maybe its not making a connection and thats why it will not work.  

I had the ohms information written down ( i do have the service manual ) I will have to go find and post the results.  I will double check my work as well and post back.. Thank you for the assistance.

maybe you can help clear up the testing of the rectifier for me?  I thought I did it correctly and the old one passed.  Do you have any good instructions specific to the model rectifier this Honda uses?   I watched the one on Partzilla but for some ! reason I can not wrap my ahead around it.  

Go to www.powersportsnation.com and buy used oem. 

Troubleshooting with chy-na parts is an exercise in futility more often than not.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Go to www.powersportsnation.com and buy used oem. 

Troubleshooting with chy-na parts is an exercise in futility more often than not.

Thanks.. They didnt have the rectifier but I will be going to this site first before i purchase another part!   Can anyone tell me where the Frame ground and engine ground is located on these bikes?    I get continuity from the rectifier ground and the battery neg. but I want to make sure it looks clean.

The Black negative battery cable has two eyelet terminals on the end of it. The first terminal downstream from the battery bolts onto the rear motor cover next to the starter. The negative cable then continues where the 2nd terminal on the end bolts onto the frame on the right/rear side of the Rancher, just above the starter. With the right side plastics off you can see both of those grounds.

I suspect that your original regulator/rectifier may still be a good one, since you found the badly corroded red wire... repair that harness connector and see what ya got.