4wheelerGuy42

Odes 350es not upshifting

Hello strangers!

Welp I have an issue with my four-wheeler, now I know its not a "Honda" but it is in the inside. Technically its a Honda rancher 350es so when parts break I buy Honda parts and they fit directly on the quad. As you can tell by the title the quad will not up-shift, Ive come to a stopping point and don't know where else too look. Ive taken off the motor shifter and re-greased the gears, the gears looked fine to be honest, there was no teeth missing on the gears. Now the down shift works perfectly fine, I just took the gears out just to make sure that there was nothing blocking the up-shift motion. Ive tested the wire that goes to the ECM with a multi-meter and set it to ohmes and got 0.02, that I know of the wire is good and has no breaks in the wire, Ive taken apart the left handle bar assembly ( that holds the push to start, shift buttons, horn, and lights) and there was nothing that stood out to me that needed fixed, but I still tested every wire in there and they all had around 0.01 to 0.03 ohmes, which Ive been told that the lower the ohmes the better for the wire. The quad does not have a angle sensor or any sensors that I know of lol, there are a few things that differ from an actual Honda rancher vs mine, as in sensors, connectors etc. Ive also tried to manually shift it, wont budge at all. So after all that Ive done to it it still will not shift, now people have said that the honda ranchers have to be above 12.6 volts in order to shift I dont know if this is true, so I just decided to hook my multi-meter up to my battery and it read 11.91 DC volts. Will this cause the quad not to shift?

Any help will be much appreciated!

If you can't get it to shift manually, it's a mechanical issue. Does the shaft to shift it manually move freely? The won't budge at all comment can be taken a few different ways. I've never worked on one of these so I'm not sure how "copied" they are as to the Honda.

Got a pic of what you're working on?  Sounds interesting.

Is there a provision on the side for an emergency shifter?  Should be where a foot shifter normally goes, but will possibly be a hex shaft sticking out of the side the engine.

@jeepwm69 No sadly i don't have a pic at this moment, but the good news is I did find out what was wrong with it. The ECU or PCM however u call it went out. I tested the up shift wire going into the ecu or pcm and it was getting a reading on my multi-meter which means that its getting voltage to the computer, I tested the wire going out of the computer and I got nothing on my multi-meter which means that the computer was not sending a signal when i pressed the up shift button. So I looked further into it and it looks like this computer has 2 relay switches inside the computer, 1 relay is for upshifting and the other one is for downshifting, the upshifting relay has gone bad, I cant replace the relay because the computer is a closed computer. To answer your questions, yes there is a hex shaft sticking out next to the engine.