DuraMaxx

2012 Honda Rancher ES TRX420TE

Does anyone have a service manual for a 2012 Honda Rancher ES TRX420TE? I've had this thing to Honda twice now. First time they replaced the PCM. It worked for about a month. Took it back, blew the PCM again. They then replaced the wiring harness and the PCM again. It's worked for about 8 months now...and......whualaa!!! No Spark.....Fuses are good, Kill Switch is good( Fuel Pump kicks on when you turn the Kill Switch to the run position). Battery Voltage at Bl/R Wire on Coil. I can only assume it's the PCM again, but not sure what my readings need to be for the Coil, or what to check, and for what at the PCM.....$2300.00 to Honda is enough at this point. I'm a diesel mechanic, so surely I can work my way around this little thing with some help...please!?

07-13 were the old body style 420’s.  

that said, mechanically I don’t think much has changed from 07-current models. 

Here is the '07-'10 manual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sa7Aaf12akZUGK76pJa_doLqUPfr_d-w/view

You'll need a Peak Voltage Adapter to test the ignition components. Ignition troubleshooting flowchart begins on page 20-4.

If I were you I would check (or bypass) the engine stop relay first, then completely test the ignition switch next. The no-spark issue is likely caused by one of those two parts failing. Let us know what you find and welcome to ATVHonda!

EDIT:

If your Rancher has been in deep water or is a mud bike then suspect that there is wet/corroding electrical connectors throughout the wiring harnesses. Those connectors are not fully waterproofed from the factory, so in order to make them waterproof the owner must open every connector and liberally dielectric grease each pair of plugs.

• Like 1