outdoorman

Having problems with with new OEM carburetor install

Just put a new OEM carburetor on my 2004 Honda Recon 250 ATV.
My problems are:
1)  I don't know how to remove the throttle cable from the top of the 'throttle cap'.    
2) when I took out (both new and old) carburetors, the slide spring flew out the carb and I don't know which end of the spring to put in the carb slide housing. 
one end the spring has a black plastic piece on it and the other end has nothing. 

I just left the old throttle cap on the cable and put it onto the new carburetor.
I assummed the spring end with the black piece went face first into the housing so thats  how I place it.

The bike will not continue to run more than a couple of minutes, then will not start unless waiting a few minutes.  Also, the choke cable won't stay up all the way and the bike won't start using the choke but will start with the choke off.
any thoughts or suggestions???

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, outdoorman said:

Just put a new OEM carburetor on my 2004 Honda Recon 250 ATV.
My problems are:
1)  I don't know how to remove the throttle cable from the top of the 'throttle cap'.    
2) when I took out (both new and old) carburetors, the slide spring flew out the carb and I don't know which end of the spring to put in the carb slide housing. 
one end the spring has a black plastic piece on it and the other end has nothing. 

I just left the old throttle cap on the cable and put it onto the new carburetor.
I assummed the spring end with the black piece went face first into the housing so thats  how I place it.

The bike will not continue to run more than a couple of minutes, then will not start unless waiting a few minutes.  Also, the choke cable won't stay up all the way and the bike won't start using the choke but will start with the choke off.
any thoughts or suggestions???

ok, first: the throttle cable sits down through the carb cap once sticking through the cap, slide the spring with the black sealing washer over the cable first, with the cable sticking down through the spring, compress the spring where the cable is long, as you are poking the spring and cable down through the slider, the slider has a slot running down the outside edge, keep the spring inside the slider, but make sure the cable is running down the outside of the slider slot, once the cable is all the way down the slider slot ?, wrap it under the bottom of the slider where it fits in the hole on the bottom of the slider, walla, done. now ease the slider down into the carb, making sure the slot on the side of the slider lines up with the tang inside the carb slider throat, it will only go down one way !. the bottom of the slider is angled, it must face the idle screw once it bottoms out, tighten down the cap, walla..done !..

• Like 1