04TRX400EX

My 2004 TRX400EX wont start

My TRX400EX wont start, and I just rebuilt the whole top end, and put a big bore 440, I started it up for the first time, and there was a ticking so I adjusted the valves, after adjusting the valve lashes it wouldn't start anymore. It will fire up for a second after every couple full strokes, it has good spark, and I just replaced the carb too.

Hi , welcome to ATVHonda ....  my first guess would be timing --- maybe a tooth off or 180 out -- did you recheck your marks 

44 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi , welcome to ATVHonda ....  my first guess would be timing --- maybe a tooth off or 180 out -- did you recheck your marks 

I was thinking it might be the timing since I had stripped the bolt on the crankcase so I had to take it off to try and get it top dead center, but I'll make sure to check the timing again.

29 minutes ago, 04TRX400EX said:

Turns out it was just the CDI box

thought you said it had spark ??. if it had spark to begin with ?, then its not the cdi !.

• Like 1

The CDI had continuity, and no continuity when i was doing a read in it, and I can't think if anything else, but I'll replace it, and see if that works

Edited by 04TRX400EX