adam

TRX350 FE Full rebuild!

Hey guys,

Can anyone spot this oil seal on the spare parts map? 

It's the output shaft oil seal but I can't make sense of the parts diagram and need the part number.

Cheers!

20231105_170459.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, adam said:

Hey guys,

Can anyone spot this oil seal on the spare parts map? 

It's the output shaft oil seal but I can't make sense of the parts diagram and need the part number.

Cheers!

20231105_170459.jpg

look at this page --> Honda ATV 2000 OEM Parts Diagram for Final Shaft | Partzilla.com , it is the final shaft, it is number # 9 you are after. oil seal. i do not buy parts from partzilla anymore, but i use their page to look up, copy parts to post. i buy all my parts from rocky mountain atv, they are cheaper, ship faster, and you only have to buy 75 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping, plus..you earn bonus bucks for next purchase.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

look at this page --> Honda ATV 2000 OEM Parts Diagram for Final Shaft | Partzilla.com , it is the final shaft, it is number # 9 you are after. oil seal. i do not buy parts from partzilla anymore, but i use their page to look up, copy parts to post. i buy all my parts from rocky mountain atv, they are cheaper, ship faster, and you only have to buy 75 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping, plus..you earn bonus bucks for next purchase.

Legend . Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:14 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, you can do it on the bench with the cases still separated.  Just tilt the engine back a hair to keep everything in place.  If it shifts through all the gears while spinning the transmission gears over, then you should be good to go.  If you don't get the gears in there right it will hang up on you. 

You should be able to tell neutral because all the gears will spin but the output shaft either won't be spinning.  You might have to hold it with one hand while you spin things over with your other hand, as sometimes the shaft will spin from minor friction, but can easily be held in place if you grab the output shaft.

I'm having trouble checking the gears. Rotating through the shift drum isn't really identifying gears easily. The drive shaft isn't giving me much - it rotates slowly on a couple of gears but others it locks up.

What direction should the drive shaft go with forward gears?

Also what direction should the shift drum go from 1 through to R?

I thought it was ok previously so I sealed the two halves together - looks like we're splitting again!

On 11/11/2023 at 5:12 PM, adam said:

I'm having trouble checking the gears. Rotating through the shift drum isn't really identifying gears easily. The drive shaft isn't giving me much - it rotates slowly on a couple of gears but others it locks up.

What direction should the drive shaft go with forward gears?

Also what direction should the shift drum go from 1 through to R?

I thought it was ok previously so I sealed the two halves together - looks like we're splitting again!

final output shaft turns counterclockwise. what i do: i put a pair of vise grips on the final output shaft, another pair clamped onto the shifter shaft, i click up on shifting shaft while i am rotating the output shaft, you will hear it '' click '' as it goes into gear for 1st, then rinse and repeat for all other 4 gears. from 1st to reverse, you must have the reverse lever pulled in in order to down shift on the shifting shaft, as you are rotating the output shaft clockwise.

• Like 2

Ok... so I'm basically just after some emotional support. Someone to pat me on the back and tell me everything will be ok - but go and split the case again.

I checked all the gears were shifting fine before bolting the case back together. No problem. 

See, the thing is when you shift with the engine on its side all the gears were resting down in their correct position. But after bolting her back up I sat the motor right and had another go at shifting through all the gears. 

All shifted ok except 5th - which just spun freely. Then back down again and into reverse. All ok. Except no 5th!

Then I noticed the countershaft had slop. About 3mm of back and forth. 

When pulled out, 5th would engage. When pressed in, it wouldn't. 

So when the motor was on its belly, the gears were in the right spot and all was well. Until I turned her upright there must have been a slight movement along the shaft to avoid finding 5th.

I am just going to leave this here and await some comforting words of wisdom from you fine folk before testing it down again next weekend.

20231210_192441.jpg

20231210_191658.jpg

20231210_191656.jpg

On 12/10/2023 at 5:38 AM, adam said:

Ok... so I'm basically just after some emotional support. Someone to pat me on the back and tell me everything will be ok - but go and split the case again.

I checked all the gears were shifting fine before bolting the case back together. No problem. 

See, the thing is when you shift with the engine on its side all the gears were resting down in their correct position. But after bolting her back up I sat the motor right and had another go at shifting through all the gears. 

All shifted ok except 5th - which just spun freely. Then back down again and into reverse. All ok. Except no 5th!

Then I noticed the countershaft had slop. About 3mm of back and forth. 

When pulled out, 5th would engage. When pressed in, it wouldn't. 

So when the motor was on its belly, the gears were in the right spot and all was well. Until I turned her upright there must have been a slight movement along the shaft to avoid finding 5th.

I am just going to leave this here and await some comforting words of wisdom from you fine folk before testing it down again next weekend.

20231210_192441.jpg

20231210_191658.jpg

20231210_191656.jpg

other than what jeep posted ^^ ?..my money say's you got a gear somewhere on the shaft installed backwards.