kicklighter09

2019 rancher not starting

i have a 19 rancher that shut off on me going down the road back in march. i recently got a new fuel pump for it... that wasnt the problem but there was stuff in the tank (got most of it out and cleaned the filter). i then ordered a fuel injector which was recently put on... wasnt the problem either... my people who have basic knowledge of atvs said it could be a electrical problem and that the injector isnt getting the voltage that it needs. if anyone could let me know what could be an issue or what would be the next step that would be awesome! TIA!!!

it will start with starting fluid but it will only stay on for not even a min unless you keep spraying starting fluid on it 

Edited by kicklighter09

Welcome aboard.  I'm not familiar with the newer 420's, but on the older models the fuel injection relay has given me problems from time to time.

Take a jumper wire and run it from the battery + to the red/black connector on the coil, and see if it will run like that.  If so, I'd look at that fuel injection relay.  If not, you likely have a clog somewhere again, or maybe a bad fuel pump.

Did you order an OEM pump or aftermarket?

The 2019 Rancher models were included in a defective fuel pump recall by Honda that provides a free pump replacement at dealerships. So call your dealer if your Rancher hasn't received the replacement pump. As jeepwm69 suggested bypass the fuel pump relay as that relay may have failed due to the defective pump.

Also, in case you hadn't heard, aftermarket parts do not work on Honda ATVs. So stick with OEM parts throughout the life of your Rancher else ya buy twice, cry twice.

I do have a new fuel pump and my people are saying that it works. I’m just not getting power to the fuel injector… does anyone know why?

20 hours ago, kicklighter09 said:

I do have a new fuel pump and my people are saying that it works. I’m just not getting power to the fuel injector… does anyone know why?

Try that jumper wire I mentioned.  If your fuel injection relay is the problem that bypasses it.

• Thanks 1