Wormy

ES Bypass Kits

Ok, as some of you know I am having trouble fixing the Electric Shift on my 1999 Foreman. @retro and I spent about 3 hours on the phone over the course of a couple of nights going through all the steps and everything seemed to check out. We concluded that it was the ECM, I called my local guy that got it up and running for me and he had a brand new ECM that I went over and tried and that did not fix it. My local guy also said that years ago he had one do the exact same thing and he had to put a bypass switch on it. That is why he had the brand new ECM, because he concluded that it was an ECM and ordered a brand new OEM one and that did not fix. Currently me and a buddy are going back through everything that me and Retro did to make sure I didn't test something wrong. But i was wondering everyone's thoughts, pros, cons, etc. on the bypass kits. I like for everything to be OEM and work like it should but I am sitting here with a perfectly running machine that just wont shift. But for $30-$50 dollars I can have it back up and running. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Well.....I converted my kid's 350es to footshift.  That's what I'd do, but I'd rather shift with my foot than my hand.

The bypass kits seem to work.  If you want to keep the ES and you're spending that kind of time troubleshooting the ES system I'd say get the bypass kit and save your time.

Well i kept trouble shooting and came up with nothing. Bought a new angle sensor and that was not the culprit either. Ended up ordering the bypass kit. 

Gave it my best shot but seems like this time I lost.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, Wormy said:

Well i kept trouble shooting and came up with nothing. Bought a new angle sensor and that was not the culprit either. Ended up ordering the bypass kit. 

Gave it my best shot but seems like this time I lost.

Let us know how the bypass kit works out please.

Got the bypass kit in and it was stupid easy to install. Been using it for about three weeks now and no issues what so ever. Only thing is that it only shows R,1st and 5th gear but if you know how to drive an ATV you are fine. 

Just wanted to follow back up on this for everyone that might have the same issue.

Thanks 

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting back!  Glad it worked well for you.

So when in 2, 3, 4 is the gear display just blank?