jmarcott99

2005 Rancher 4x4 Winding Down Noises

I recently purchased a 2005 rancher 4x4 and its been one problem after another. As we are working through the problems as you shut the 4 wheeler off there is a winding down noise. I thought it was the starter so we replaced it and still the sound remains. I have read that possibly the one way bearing could be going out? Since its new to him he's dying to ride it will it hurt him riding it? If it goes all the way out will it lock the motor up? Thoughts, info, and suggestions greatly appreciated! I told my wife I have really started to regret my purchase for him..

Welcome aboard.  That's the one way bearing on the centrifugal clutch most likely.  If it is, you should notice you coast and don't have engine braking some of the time (when it works as it should, you have engine braking).

They can go a long, long time without it hurting anything.  Mine in my 06 Foreman has been that way for years.  The only time I miss it is going down a steep hill when I don't have engine braking, but my brakes work well and if you blip the throttle the bearing will ususally catch.

If you do decide to replace it, get OEM or Shindy ONLY.  Don't put chinese crap in there.  Cheap chinese one way bearings will cause problems, and absolutely not last.

• Like 1

yep, clutch one-way bearing is going out. they make a whirling down sound...then '' clunk '' this is a one-way bearing going out.

• Like 1