NB Floyd

Low battery or ES shifting issue ?

2004 450 ES

been riding trails that lately have more water on them now to beaver activity.  

Return from one week vacation.  Starts and Drives  great around farm.   Next day.  No start and will not ES shift.  

It will pull start and drive , neutral light comes on , gear position indicator flashing 6 times and clock was reset.   

I washed the machine to remove mud etc , using care to not over do it at electrical connections , then leaf blow it to dry it off. 

Pull start , runs and shifts great.  No flashing on display.   

Son tried the push button start , and now , will not ES shift and back to flashing.  

Went from 6 flashes , to 8 , back to 6.  

I have not removed battery, was hoping to charge it by driving it. 

Many thanks for any advice.    A Great machine.  

Hi Floyd , what I think I would do first is pull start the atv engine  , then with the engine running  and  with  an electric meter attached to the battery , you should show between 13.5 -14.5 volts if the stator / alternator is working properly , if it test ok , then I would load test the battery , if you don't have a load tester I would take the battery out and bring it to your local auto parts and have them test it --- could be a bad battery ---- someone else can chime in on the flash code 

Hi Floyd , did you ever read or even perform  Retro's ES maintenance  , here is a link , heard people swear by it being a help 

• Like 1

I have read thru the ES prep previously. 

I was a little intimidated by undoing the electrical connections , and since it was working I decided I would leave it alone.  

will give it a better read and may attempt it.  

I need to get a multi meter, and will test battery.  

thank you for the quick responses.  

Retro's post on ES system has helped me on more than one occasion on mine and other peoples es systems.

It is time consuming but important to thoroughly go through the entire system and check every connection as stated in his post.

You can download the service manual here at the top of home page and find es system info in section 21.

6 flashes, ECU fail safe relay circuit, probable faulty part,ECU
8 flashes, angle sensor system, probable faulty part,angle sensor, or control motor, or related wiring, or ECU

Update.   Loose negative connection at the battery.    Tightened it up and machine starts and shifts great.    Will consider doing the ES prep in the future.   

• Like 2